brown algae?

JK

Hi,

I seem to have abit of a problem with this.

In my 2foot tank its turning up on the plants and rocks and quite quickly.

The tank is lighted for 12 hours aday and theres currently 9 small fish in there.

Any ideas?? How to get rid of? How to prevent it coming back?

How's your nitrate level? What kind of and how much lighting do you have?

Generally with brown algae more lighting helps a bit. But you'll need to add lights because I don't think you want the lights on for much more than 12 hours. But, if the tank is only a month old wait a bit for things to settle first.

Hi there EVLGTZ - Sue's got us heading the right direction. Brown algae (I'm assuming it's just a brown film on the glass/plants etc) is usually diatoms - they're usually the first algae that show up in a newly set up tank - they make use of silicate in the water that comes from the gravel.

After a couple of months the brown algae usually disappears (because it's used up the silicate in the water). At this early stage I'd just use an algae scruber to clean it off the glass (probably do that just before a water change so then you can siphon some of the crud out as part of the water change).

You don't mention what fish you've got but I'd be inclined to get a little bristlenose to help control the algae (can't remember if they eat brown algae - but you're going to get other types of algae as the set up matures so the bristlenose will come in useful).

Interfecus has said about reducing light levels - that is true if green algae is a problem (or your tank looks like pea soup) but brown algae can somtimes indicate not enough light - in this case (since you've got the lights on for 12 hours) I think it's just the diatoms using up the available silicate. I don't think it's worthwile using an algaecide.

Yip, Rob's onto it. The silicates can be removed quicker by adding Phos-zorb or some other Phosphate removing resin. Most Phospahte resins also remove silicates.

Under no circumstances should you use a commercial algae remover. These are very hard on the plants and some fish. I know of several people who have lost fish to algae removers (including me). It also damages the plants. When a tank is new, the plants need all the help they can get. Keep the fish load low until the algae goes away, then add a few at a time. Planted tanks usually run a lower fish load. As Interfecus said, adding more plants is an option too.

You could also do the next couple of water changes with rain water (if you can get some), or a mix of rain and tap water. Once things have settled small regular changes with tap water will be ok.

if you have filtration attached to the tank i'd advise checking and cleaning the pipes on occasion if having problems with brown algae - too many times has the stuff clogged up my filter pipes causing really slow filtration which just complicates matters. (We use a substrate with extreme levels of nutrients for propagating and i would assume therefore high silicate levels also...)

Brown algae is almost certanly Diatom. If the tank has only been running for 1 month, than a little algae is just part of the cycle and even though its ugly their is little to be done.

My tank has 0 algae -

Regular water changes (10% a fortnight)

Phostphate removing resin (phos-ban, Rowa-Phos, Saliftert Phosphate Killer)

Use of correct spectrum lighting

Water changes have been done to death, you will know if your not doing them enough

Phosphate removal is a key, silicates and phosphates feed algae. These resins are great value as they last forever (that is they last until completely depleted but don't expire).

Lighting. The use of impropper specrtum lighting is going to cause algae also, esp diatom. You should be using lighting between 6000-6500 Kelvins. Lighting spectrum falls over time also, hence the reason to replace bulbs regulary. 9 months is the accpeted average. Just because they don't look different doesn't mean they havn't shifted. I have 5 tubes on my tank. I replace one every 2 months, that way it spreads the cost and keep me honest. Tubes between $10 - $20 ea.

I think its most likley they you tank is just cycling, or in post cycle stages. Adding algae eating fish, as far as I am concerned, does not resolve your algae problem, it reduces the algae, but the problem remains.

Good luck

Pies

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing that causes brown algae is sunlight, so make sure that the tank is out of the sunlight as much as possible this will also cause your fish to lose thier colour, so it's an important thing to consider when setting up a tank. And as for cleaning it up, bristlenoses are masters at this. 8)

Doc Holiday said...

> Another thing that causes brown algae is sunlight

I would tend to disagree. The diatoms that cause brown 'algae'

don't need a lot of light (from the sun or anywhere) in order to

do well. It's more a case of them sucking up available nutrients

(usually in a newly set up tank) until other things out-compete

them.

> And as for cleaning it up, bristlenoses are masters at this.

I've found time is your best friend when clearing up brown algae.

Good plant growth also helps. Algae eating fish tend not to like

the silica shells diatoms have and so aren't efficient controls in

my experience.

Andrew.

i went through the same problem with my tank...i wasnt really that worried about it...but it did make the tank look a bit icky!!! :x ...anywho...had a chat with the guy at the lfs and he said its normal...and if i really want to reduce it...buy a bristlenose...so i did...he was $6...and he has done wonders for my tank...if i see algae in the morning (before i go to school)...its normally gone when i some home...or well at least some it is...and the little bn is working away eating it...now there isnt much algae...but i do put cucmber in the tank...and all the fish eat it...normally with 2-3 days!!!

btw...the guy at the lfs said they my bn would need driftwood...so i got some...why do bn's need this???

sumo

The theory for most plecos (including bristlenoses) needing wood is that in their natural environment cellulose (ie plant/wood fibre) makes a large part of their diet.

Some people have found that when plecos get a diet high in meat they end up with gut problems/obstructions and die. Adding the driftwood is a way of making sure the pleco gets enough fibre and stays regular.

There are some types of plecos though that are mainly carnivorous though - the one that springs to mind straight away is zebra plecos.