4 Foot Tank

markoshark

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 4foot x 1.5 foot x 1 foot tank.

Discussing what sorta fish to get.

Easy to look for + community fish + pref. cheap.

Shark x2

Siamese Fighter x1

Rams x4

Pearl x4

Rainbow Blue & Red, x2 of each

Couple of Whiptails

Bunch of Neons (10-ish)

And a ghost knife. Which I suspect is where I may have a problem of fishies going missing at night.

Unsure of what types of plants to get, any suggestions?

Best to keep Tiger Barbs in groups of 6 plus, it keeps the niggly interest amongst themselves instead of hassling anything else in the tank... however on to be on the safe side, I still don't recommend keeping anything with alot of floating finnage in the tank, Fighters in particular. Your mates angels might be left alone if he hads another 5 or more Tiger Barbs to the tank or if he's not keen on that idea, then he might have to part with the Barb, as it will only keep fin nipping.

BGK's will take out any smaller fish when bigger, they have a very big mouth, they also grow VERY large, around 40-50cm in length, so might pay to keep that in mind :D

Crypts (plants) are relatively easy, and you can get all sorts of variations :D I love them.

By the time it grows to its full potential, it should have learnt how to do three point turns.

But

By then the person may have got it a more compatible tank.

Moral is that little silver sharks grow into big silver sharks.

Their mouth gets bigger also, same as their diet.

Got it??

Remove the fighter (it will be nibbled), sharks (too big) and ghost knife (don't think they are cheap and will eat the neons and other small fish).

I would swap neons for cardinals, rummy noses, harlequins or similar (although they are dearer than neons).

Silver Shark x3

Siamese Fighter x1

Pearl Gourami x4

Boesemani rainbow x4

Pleco of some description.

Ghost knife (Either Black or Brown - Apparently brown stay smaller... - Verification?)

And possibly another couple of whatever catch my eye.

Blue Rams?

If the Fighter does start to get nibbled, i'll put him in a smaller tank, with some neons, possibly cardinal, or Rummynose.

sounds like a workable mix to me :) id advise waiting till the tank has been established a while before adding the rams, and possibly the whips depending on what species you get (not sure how sensitive they are). rams are fairly sensitive fish and often have problems in newly set up tanks :) having a browse thru sites with tetra profiles may help you decide what species of tetra you want and that would save you potentially buying fin nippers only to have to return them

not sure if the gouramis and fighter would hassle each other though, i havent had any experience with the pearl gouramis.