Post your rare and unusual fish pics! [56k go get a coffee]

David R

The arowanas, the bichirs, the eels, the knife fish, etc etc, lets see them! Past and present, but only your own fish, no wish-list fish or random pics from the interweb!

Current:

My Dat, currently around 18cm:

Dat1.jpg

Bichir, (P. palmas), around 20cm:

Birchy.jpg

I'll try take some photo's of the whole tank once the sumps set up, even tho the uaru's and laoches arent really 'oddball'.

Past:

The only photo I have of my old 5' set-up with the black aro, uaru's and fire eel.

MyAro.jpg

Aro was around 16" in that photo, grew from 6" to nearly 2' (was almost nose-to-tail across the tank when I sold him) in just over two years. One of my favorite fish ever, and if I see another I'm going to buy it regardless of what I have in my tank or how poor I am!!

and my Ctenopoma I just sold:

Ctenopoma.jpg

At 6" he was the biggest I've ever seen, and I was really sad to see him go (especially when I went to Hollywoods today and saw them selling 2" babies for the same price I got for mine on trademe!).

Appologies for the lousy quality of the photos, one day I'll spend some time taking some decent pics...

heres my little Hoover (temporary name) in quarentine till he grows up then he will join the big boys/gals in the Oscar tank. Hes just a baby (3"ish) so still has his little spots, his mouth isnt so little though :o Can imagine how big it will be once hes older :lol:

100_5905.jpg

Mine used to when it was smaller, doesnt seem to any more. It seemed to be a stress thing, when he was being shy. He's also got a lot more bold now he's around 6".

Proper name is Datnioides microlepis, also called tiger datnoid, siamese tiger fish etc.

Actually I think both his and mine are microlepis, according those these identification charts (and the opinion of a Datnoid-only forum experts, in the case of mine) - they're the most common dat, in any case - Assuming you can call any dat common:

cartoon%20Dats.gif

poster_landscape.jpg

What fish do you have in with yours, David? At the moment mine are pretty much by themselves. They had the company of a few baby swords & guppies for a while, but they're "gone" now...heh.

• 2 weeks later...