Korthausae Yellows Spawning

Billaney

Hi Guys

I'm pretty new to Killies but trying my best :)

I've done a bit of reading on these guys and found out they like to spawning on the ground, in peat and the eggs can be removed , kept for a while then hatched ....this is what i think anyway , always ready to listern to more experiance breeders :)

Anyway i did not have any peat so i gave them a pot of fine sand at the bottom of there tank and they love it , so much i just watched them spawning in it. So my question is , " what do i do now ? "

all help would be great.

Thanks and here are some pictures of the action :wink:

normal_DSC_1559.JPG

normal_DSC_1600.JPG

normal_DSC_1603.JPG

normal_DSC_1604.JPG

normal_DSC_1605.JPG

normal_DSC_1606.JPG

Give them a week at this Paul then separate them and condition them for a week then back into it again.

After the first week, go over the base systematically and syphon the gravel, the eggs being lighter will go thru to your container.

Now make a bed of damp peat in a margie or a icecream container and place eggs digitally on the surface about 5 to 10 mm away from each other.(if they fungus they wont contaminate their neighbors).

Make sure the lid is a tight fit, label them with their name, and the day you put them in the peat, then go mark your breeding calender on two months later, don't let the peat dry out, so check it weekly and moisten if necessary.

Add water, and catch babies out in 24 hours.(after 2 mths incubation)

Remove peat and remaining eggs, and replace into it's container and wait for a fortnight and rewet.

This can be done until no more babies are seen.

About three times.

Boil peat to kill any eggs left and to sterilize it.

Then feed the babies on BBS, should be ready for sale, passing on or breeding in about 2 months.

Al

thanks guys , i'll leave it till mid next week ( time to buy some peat ) then do what Alan says and fingers crossed :)

now for the silly questions , what sort of peat do i use ? just any old peat i might get from the warehouse or garden centre ?

About a year down the track it all catches up and you will have that many fish you wont know what to do. I used to be setting them up to breed and hatching them every weekend. The Nothos grow at a surprising rate if you feed them well. I was selling guentheri at 6 weeks so I imagine these guys are similar. Good luck and don't forget they have a safety mechanism and only a percentage (I found about 10% with guentheri and palmquisti) will hatch the first time.

Where's Adele?

You seem to have quite a bit of time on your hands to watch Killies doing it :roll:

(This is a family forum.... there should be no confusion on the above comment :wink: :lol: )

i can't answer that she would kill me ! :roll: :P:P

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, well my Yellows were at it again last week and this time i was ready :)

i've sysphoned off the eggs like Alan Said , i must admit I go sand coming through with eggs and to be honest i had a hard time telling eggs from grains of sand but figured adding a bit of the sand to the peat would not do any harm so just sprinkled the whole lot i'd syphoned onto the bed of washed peat, its just damp but not running with water or anything. I've put it in a icecream container and maked it with todays dateand marked my Outlook calender to remind me in two months they are ready :)

Now i have just reread Alans post and it did not say to cover the eggs with a thin layer of peat which i have done , is this a problem ?

So then do i ( after two months ) just slowly add some tank water and float the container in a tank ? wait for the fry to be seen and move them to another container of the same water floating in the same tank ?

What i hope to do is repeat this every two weeks for a couple of months to see if i get better or the hatch rates improve , theys guys are the only peat spawners i have at the momment so no need to mark with the species but on the lookout for others :)

When I was breeding Nothos I used to put the sand through a fine kitchen seive and keep the sand that passed through (wash thoroughly) If you get your net size right you will pass all the sand and keep the eggs. I like this method because you can easily count your eggs and keep track of your hatch rate. Don't forget they don't all hatch the first time so don't throw them out.

If you seive out the fine stuff they are. Transparent but smaller than australe or gardneri. You want a seiveabout the hole size of the small tea strainers that you get in a set of three at the supermarket. If you can get a bigger one with he same mesh size life would be easier. Screen printers have SS mesh for those that are diy.

all my eggs will be in a smallish ( just smaller than a marg container ) pot of sand in there tank so it should not be too hard to syphon off the egs

Paul, I notice that the post that this comes from has a pic of the tank where you are breeding the nothos.

It appears to me to be BB tank with the punnet in it with some plants.

If this is so, try and get some fine fruit-salad gravel and put it in at about 12mm deep across the bottom.

This is very simple to syphon off without the gravel coming with the eggs. You'll find that the Nothos drop a lot of eggs away from the punnet, so you should increase your egg production dramatically.

Weeeeeeee!!

I shouldn't be telling you this since you aren't a member of the NZKA.

KBK

Paul, I notice that the post that this comes from has a pic of the tank where you are breeding the nothos.

It appears to me to be BB tank with the punnet in it with some plants.

If this is so, try and get some fine fruit-salad gravel and put it in at about 12mm deep across the bottom.

This is very simple to syphon off without the gravel coming with the eggs. You'll find that the Nothos drop a lot of eggs away from the punnet, so you should increase your egg production dramatically.

Weeeeeeee!!

I shouldn't be telling you this since you aren't a member of the NZKA.

KBK

Great tip , thanks Alan :)