Gonna sound dumb...

paddy_whack

I was wondering if anyone uses HAGEN Ammonia Test, Product number A-7820? My tests are all comingout clear, but this confuses me... on the back of the booklet there are 6 colours ranging from white (0) to cream(1.2) to peach(7.3), and clear errr... doesnt fit into any of these... -_- Presumably the water is supposed to turn white, bexcause there is a white and a creamy-white... gettng darker as you get higher ammonia levels, but does white represent clear? Geez im confused.

TY in advance,

PADDY (King Of The Jews)

hi pappy whack

just a tought but where do you take your sample water from in your tank?

do you take it from the top of the tank or the bottom?

if your taking it from the top please try taking it from the bottom and try again as lots of people take it from the top of the water and make that mistake even myself have been caught by that mistake lol

as to the reading well not sure but it sounds like it may be fine

hope this helps alittle

I wouldn't think it matters what level you take the water from either, assuming good flow. On the rare occasions I actually test the water I always take it from the top.

Haven't used a Hagen kit so can't help re colours. I can see your problem though (it's clear to me :D )

I have this kit, I don't rate it. I have never picked up any levels of ammonia with it, even when cycling tanks which developed high nitrite readings (ie when ammonia should have been present).

As far as the colours go, as with most test kits like this, you are supposed to put the test tube against a white background and then compare to the colour chart. Therefore when the solution is clear the corresponding colour match from the chart is white. Likewise with more ammonia present the solution is supposed to develop a deeper yellow colouring, which appears cream or peach etc against a white background.

Just take the water sample from the top, circulation in the tank will be adequate to stop concentration gradients.

I got this in my email the other day, is it the same Patty Whack?

No it can't be you're a Paddy. Perhaps she's your wife.

A frog goes into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from

her nameplate that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."

Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name.

The frog says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and

that it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral.

The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain elephant, about half an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed.

Very confused, Patty explains that she'll have to consult with the

bank manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger

out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he

wants to use this as collateral."

She holds up the tiny pink elephant.

(you're gonna love this)

(it's a real treat)

(a masterpiece)

(wait for it)

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

"It's a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan. His old man's

a Rolling Stone."

If you hold the test container against the cardboard box with the colours on it it will better show the sample colour. If the tube looks white (because the sample is clear) then you have 0. By holding the sample against the white background you'll get the colour match correct. If you just hold up the tube with light shining through it, it'll take on what ever colour is in the background as well.