Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

potassium permanganate or condy's crystals

Featured Replies

anyone have experience of using this to control algae in a pool/pond ?? currently have a swimming pond full of turtles, mosquito fish and goldfish, also one very large pleco, been told to use 1 teaspoon full per 1000 l of water, water turns pink, then brown and if successful then clear, any comments appreciated, tks Graeme

  • Author

I am assuming that this could be quite beneficial to the turtles too as they are very prone to carry disease as they obviously cannot clean themselves. Carriers of campylobactor (is that how it is spelt ??)

My husband, a chemistry/science teacher says potassium permanganate will kill algae but he wouldn't want to take a guess on quantities. Suppose you could start with a small amount and then add a bit more if it didnt work.

I am not sure about turtles carrying campylobacter as I think that is mainly from birds. The usual worry is of turtles carrying salmonella, but so do sparrows,chicken, ducks, rats, cats, dogs, lizards and many others. I don't think condies would kill either, nor do I know how effective it would be to control algae. It is a strong oxidizing agent and would be indiscriminate.

  • Author

The pool is now almost clear, I used slightly less than the 1 teaspoon per 1000 litres (dissolved in water and spread across the surfact and into the intake of one of the filters), the water which was very murky and also quite green, to the extent that one could not see any goldfish or turtles if they were below maybe 200mm from the surface, water when very pink, then very dirty brown, and now almost clear and getting better each day. Part way through the process the algae appeared to clump into larger particles that were easily removeable by filters (I was using 4 that were not keeping up before the treatment) I removed all the turtles after maybe a day as they did not appear to be eating, the mosquito fish mostly came to the surface and appeared to be a little distressed so removed maybe 75% of them, I never laid eyes on a goldfish !!! and the large pleco also was not seen. None of the fish appear to have been affected whatsoever although it is early days, the goldfish are now all visible and very fit and energetic, mossie fish and pleco all good, turtles just the same cheeky and eating well. I do not profess to being any kind of expert, just giving the benefit of my experience

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.