Giant kokopu Galaxias argenteus

lamnidae

I am interested on any infomation about breeding in captivity..Yes i realise they are amphidromous .Alot of my own research has discovered contrasting claims....for example a NIWA site claims that eggs have never been discovered ,but i have (from a very reliable source)been told of sucessful hatching from wild collected eggs so...confused!!!!

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/rc/freshwa ... ant_kokopu

any one out there been there done that i would very much appreciate any information..:)

ps land locked populations exist so they dont need the marine stage to repoduce..

lamnidae, apparently they come down stream at a very high tide, spawn in the long grasses on the bank, then in a months time, the next equivalent tide pick up the fish for their marine experience then it's back home as whitebait up their original river/stream that they cam from and head upstream to continue their life.

If they get passed the nets of course.

The time line I do not know tho.

yes all realised "but"gaint kokopu spawn later so the juviniles are not a usual catch in white baiters nets.Most of there catch are young inanga.

This stage can be bipassed as land locked populations exist ,lake Brunner for example.Thanks for your reply.:)

About half of New Zealand’s native freshwater fish species are diadromous. That is, they spend part of their life cycle at sea and migrate to fresh water for the remainder of the cycle.But some species it is possable to hatch and raise soley in fresh water...

ahhh thats what i was tring to say...hahaha.

The Waikato Aquarium Society visited Charles Mitchell's place some time last year(or maybe the year before) Unfortunately i missed the trip, but others enjoyed it. From memory there a quite a few native species that he breeds.

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjmfr/1991/22.php

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/stor ... D=10363834

HTH

will be visiting him some time this year ,mainly inuga(whitebait) but has a few other species but not breeding giant kokopu..but thank you very much still.. :hail:

• 3 weeks later...

I have four giant kokopu and three bandeds from Charles Mitchell (along with inanga, crays and assorted bullies I caught myself). Really intersting guy, I hope to meet him some time.

They are all this year's whitebait and starting to look really beautiful as they take on the adult form.

What are you wanting to breed them in captivity for?

Stella, obsessed with native fish :)

haha, Nice! any of the giant kokopu though?

Ok then, how's this? ;P

http://picasaweb.google.com/stellamcq/NZNativeFish

(yes I have two web albums, am going to favour the picasa one and get rid of the other soon)

Stella

PS thanks Fishboi, I don't mind you posting the photo at all. I have read the instructions and tried and failed to do it before....

Thanks DavidB, but it was caught in the manawatu (place called Horseshoe Bend near Tokomaru, no idea what the river is...), perhaps a tad far from the south island...

I think it is probably a cran's or common. I lean toward cran's, but haven't really looked closely and got the books out yet. I have a couple of massey freshwater biology experty people coming over tomorrow night, hopefully will get a proper id then.

(Am writing a book on keeping natives is aquaria and they are going to check out my fish and my book! exciting :)

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I seem to be having good luck taking photos of my fish (or maybe it is chance: take enough photos...). I even was asked for a couple of crayfish photos that were used in a display at Otari (wgtn) in the weekend! I didnt get to see it, but am kinda buzzing aobut that.

Stella

yeah I have two crayfish in two tanks.

My first cray was huge, well, 10cm, and became bit of a menace. I lost three of my four uplands (the only bullies I had at the time) over two months. THing is I think I lost all the males, and it was geting into spring, so I think they were nesting and easier for him to pick off. Still gutted, they were becoming rather pretty fish.

Then he decided to climb out on a hot day....

Then I got a smaller cray.... am guessing 7cm at the most. And now have a teeny tiny cray, perhaps an inch long. He is so cute!

They are a risk, particularly after they catch their first fish...

A deep tank makes them a bit safer.

Do you have pics of your tank? I always love seeing other native tanks! :)

Stella