noisy pump

shadowfax

Is it loud because of the actual running of the pump? Not much you can do about that, less restrictive airstones can help sometimes. Sometimes more restrictive helps. If it's vibrating against something making noise, move it.:) Or put a cloth around it.

I've got one of those and its noisy too - the quietest I can get it is when it is running multiple tanks and has no restrictions on its pumping ability - fortunately mine isn't in the house but it is the loudest in the room where I keep most of my tanks.

thanks for the replys everyone, i hooked it up to my other tank & it was fine for awhile but now just as bad again. it had it set up to bleed the extra air off on both lines but it made no difference. its not vibrating off anything its just really loud & when you put your ear against the tank its really bad.

may i suggest making sure it is not sitting directly on wood as it acts like a natural amplifier. Try placing it either on the carpet or a scrap piece of carpet in the cabinet. I suspect that if you can hear it with your ear on the tank, its the vibrations being transmitted through the cabinet.

Put the pump under the house or somewhere out of the way where you won't hear it and use a long airline to the tank, just need to drill a hole in the floor or wall for the airline to go through.

Or else you can try ear plugs :)

I put my airpumps under the house when I used to use them. I also got a couple of very big bottles and fed the airline into it. A large hose came out of the second bottle and went all over the house to feed tanks. The concept behind the bottles is to act as a reservoir and remove the pulses of air out of the airlines. Once the air pressure is completely smooth in the airlines, all the vibration noise they produce disappears and the noise in the tank goes too. I ended up using 2 x 20L water bottles, air pump into one then the other then feeding the tanks. Silence other than fizzing of air at the water surface.

When I was running a large pump into a fish house with fifty tanks and probably 100 outlets I ran the air into the air cylinder off the breaks on a truck because it had connections I put taps on to drain the water off. As an aside I found Warrens suggestion worked as well and it took a lot of the noise out. Pulsing noise is one us humans tend to find offensive.

Yeah, you need something to act as a muffler on the air from the airpump to quieten the tank down. I found that a few meters of airline made a huge difference to the sound from the tank itself. The pump quietened down heaps when I changed the angle it was on. Suspending from the back made it rattle a lot less.