Clown Loach

LoGaN

Bear in mind that the adult size takes a long time to reach as well. It often takes 10-15 years to get a big Clown Loach. I had mine for about 10 years. There were 13 and the biggest ones were around 220mm. They grow up to 600mm in the wild. They never lose that character that gives them their name though. They can also live for more than 50 years with some recorded at 70 years old!

Most people don't have Clown Loaches for long enough for them to reach full size. They have earned the well deserved name of 'Whitespot Magnet' because they are. They're very difficult to treat if disaster should strike as they have no scales. Traditional medications can't be used as they poison the fish.

I lost all my loaches about 5 years ago. They were in a 700L tank with Surinamensis and Juriparis. I went home at lunch time to pick up a book and they were all fine. When I got home at 5:30 all the loaches were dead. None of the other fish were sick?? Was the wierdest thing I've ever seen. They had been happy in this tank for years. I got a little burnt because of this.

Clown Loaches are great fish however. I'd still keep them if I had enough tanks. The biggest thing to be careful of is temperature. Make sure there is never a sudden temperature drop as this seems to be the single biggest cause of a whitespot event.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Bear in mind that the adult size takes a long time to reach as well. It often takes 10-15 years to get a big Clown Loach. I had mine for about 10 years. There were 13 and the biggest ones were around 220mm. They grow up to 600mm in the wild. They never lose that character that gives them their name though. They can also live for more than 50 years with some recorded at 70 years old!

Most people don't have Clown Loaches for long enough for them to reach full size. They have earned the well deserved name of 'Whitespot Magnet' because they are. They're very difficult to treat if disaster should strike as they have no scales. Traditional medications can't be used as they poison the fish.

I lost all my loaches about 5 years ago. They were in a 700L tank with Surinamensis and Juriparis. I went home at lunch time to pick up a book and they were all fine. When I got home at 5:30 all the loaches were dead. None of the other fish were sick?? Was the wierdest thing I've ever seen. They had been happy in this tank for years. I got a little burnt because of this.

Clown Loaches are great fish however. I'd still keep them if I had enough tanks. The biggest thing to be careful of is temperature. Make sure there is never a sudden temperature drop as this seems to be the single biggest cause of a whitespot event.

Oh dude that sucks, ive got 7 clown loachs between about 8-10 cm in length, it was interesting to read that conventional whitespot cures, ie methylene blue? (the blue stuff anyway) shouldnt be used...

Ive treated whitespot on them with it a couple of times and they have been fine... :-?

Anyone else heard any different?

• 5 weeks later...

600mm?!? I've never seen one over about 20cm in captivity, and most books and internet sites say 300mm. I'd love to see a school of 2' clown loaches swimming around in a huge tank, maybe thats why no one has success breeding them in captivity.....