El Cheapo Lights

meesheelly

Hey guys!

I am wanting to get more lighting for my 2 tanks (4ft and 100cm)

I need to do it on the cheap.

Would one of these work for a tank?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-88150368.htm

or should i go for one of these with a cord added?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-88610400.htm

Any other ideas?

I think the product in your second link would be the most cost effective and usable. If you're growing plants, might want to swap in some 6500K tubes (~$8ea). Plugs you can get at pak'n save, warehouse, dick smiths etc $4-7, and mains wire is cheap enough at Dick Smiths (or just butcher the cord off an old broken appliance).

I can't think of anything more cost effective for tanks that size. You could do it cheaper by making the fitting yourself, but not really worth the trouble I found. That little waterproof kit would mean it could be just sat on the aquarium, and wouldn't need to be held up etc.

Another option (over the budget), is that SwitchedOnGardner do Aluminium Aquarium lights in double 4ft for $120ea.

i personally found PL tubes to be a bit useless for plants. i sold both my PL units in less than 6 months. bought the exact unit of the same seller.

even though they're two tubes in the unit they produce as much light as single T8, they would be good if u can find a unit that takes 4 tubes. also the starter unit are on the side rather than the top means there is about a 10cm gap either side before the tubes start which leaves the sides of the tanks poorly lit.

I have a 5ft tank going up for sale soon that could use some lighting and I also need some 4ft lights for a fishroom. Can be the second ones you pointed out or PL light hoods. If you go either, let me know and we can possibly combine shipping (if you want).

Sorry to hijack your topic, but I too am looking for some lighting for cheap. I was thinking of actually just making it. What do I need besides the tube and the tube holder? Does the tube holder come with wiring all preinstalled? If not , will it possible to wire it to a normal electrical socket and plug it in the wall?

The covering will be easy, as dad has tons of spare wood around. Just worried but the wiring thats all.

This is what i used;

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=76225345

Sorry the picture is gone, They are the fittings out of offices, brought two, combined them and now have a 6 tube fitting.

@36w each thats 216w all up.

Great if you have a 4ftx2ft top to your tank.

So all up to get 6 tubes on my tank I paid:

2x commerical fittings off trademe =$30

Some mains wiring and a plug ~$5

6x 6500K osram bulbs (mitre 10 mega) @ $4.50 ea = $27 (amazing pricing) :bounce: :bounce:

All up = $62 8)

Works brillantly, only running 5 bulbs, may take a bulb or two out as I'm having a bit of a algae bloom.

Is this for a planted tank? This thread may get more hits in the Aquatic Plants section. I think that'll work but its just a matter of finding the right light spectrum bulbs and mounting them. Considering they can't be too close to the water/glass as they'll get really hot. All that said and done though, thats roughly $110+ a light fitting and you'd need a few just to even out the light above the tank, which wouldn't be cheap. Thats my 2 cents anyway. :lol:

If you want El Cheapo lights I think you may be best to buy second hand flouros. There is not much point in running massive metal halides because they give off a lot of heat and use a lot of power. Intense lighting is not much use unless you go the full hog and add fertilizers, CO2 and a bigger power bill. That is hardly cheap lighting. You will probably also need two or three to get a decent spread of light.