February 19, 200719 yr comment_148846 Hey guys! I am wanting to get more lighting for my 2 tanks (4ft and 100cm) I need to do it on the cheap. Would one of these work for a tank? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-88150368.htm or should i go for one of these with a cord added? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-88610400.htm Any other ideas? Report
February 19, 200719 yr comment_148854 the first one will send your power bill through the roof and just about cook the fish on a tank like that , the 2nd link i'd say would work fine Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148860 Yep. Halogen is a no-go when it comes to fish, it gives off too much heat and produces a very yellow light at around 2700K. Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148874 I use one of those halogens when woodturning. It is 500watts and you can feel the heat on the back of your neck. Cheap to buy and use in short bursts-- no good for plant (except woodturning plant). Report
February 20, 200719 yr Author comment_148879 oh any other ideas, or does anywhere who sells lighthoods relatively cheap? Report
February 20, 200719 yr Author comment_148884 ummm i need 2 lights and i cant spend to much cos going to have to buy text books soon as well. maybe under 150? Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148885 I think the product in your second link would be the most cost effective and usable. If you're growing plants, might want to swap in some 6500K tubes (~$8ea). Plugs you can get at pak'n save, warehouse, dick smiths etc $4-7, and mains wire is cheap enough at Dick Smiths (or just butcher the cord off an old broken appliance). I can't think of anything more cost effective for tanks that size. You could do it cheaper by making the fitting yourself, but not really worth the trouble I found. That little waterproof kit would mean it could be just sat on the aquarium, and wouldn't need to be held up etc. Another option (over the budget), is that SwitchedOnGardner do Aluminium Aquarium lights in double 4ft for $120ea. Report
February 20, 200719 yr Author comment_148887 was also looking at these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=87921543 Guess it would save the hassle and they arent too expensive Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148888 Nice find, they're a regular supplier too, I'll make note of that new cheapest. Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148889 i personally found PL tubes to be a bit useless for plants. i sold both my PL units in less than 6 months. bought the exact unit of the same seller. even though they're two tubes in the unit they produce as much light as single T8, they would be good if u can find a unit that takes 4 tubes. also the starter unit are on the side rather than the top means there is about a 10cm gap either side before the tubes start which leaves the sides of the tanks poorly lit. Report
February 20, 200719 yr Author comment_148893 bummer is there anything other than flouros? Or can you get higher wattage bulbs that fit into existing units? Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148894 i do have some 5ft ballasts for cheap if you want to go custom... just get some waterproof endcaps and its all go if you have a big enough hood. but the 5ft lights would look strange on a 4ft tank, don't you think? lol Report
February 20, 200719 yr Author comment_148900 yeah i ahve seen heaps of 5fts guess i need a bigger tank :lol: Report
February 20, 200719 yr comment_148940 I have a 5ft tank going up for sale soon that could use some lighting and I also need some 4ft lights for a fishroom. Can be the second ones you pointed out or PL light hoods. If you go either, let me know and we can possibly combine shipping (if you want). Report
February 24, 200719 yr comment_149567 Sorry to hijack your topic, but I too am looking for some lighting for cheap. I was thinking of actually just making it. What do I need besides the tube and the tube holder? Does the tube holder come with wiring all preinstalled? If not , will it possible to wire it to a normal electrical socket and plug it in the wall? The covering will be easy, as dad has tons of spare wood around. Just worried but the wiring thats all. Report
February 24, 200719 yr comment_149579 yea you can use an old appliance cord. or an extension cord just in case you need the extra. and when you say light holder you are meaning endcaps, and ballast on an entire bracket, right? Report
February 25, 200719 yr comment_149677 I would guess so. Will take a look at Mitre 10 tomorrow thanks. Report
February 25, 200719 yr comment_149719 This is what i used; http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... d=76225345 Sorry the picture is gone, They are the fittings out of offices, brought two, combined them and now have a 6 tube fitting. @36w each thats 216w all up. Great if you have a 4ftx2ft top to your tank. So all up to get 6 tubes on my tank I paid: 2x commerical fittings off trademe =$30 Some mains wiring and a plug ~$5 6x 6500K osram bulbs (mitre 10 mega) @ $4.50 ea = $27 (amazing pricing) :bounce: :bounce: All up = $62 8) Works brillantly, only running 5 bulbs, may take a bulb or two out as I'm having a bit of a algae bloom. Report
February 25, 200719 yr Author comment_149753 I would love to do something like lat except my tank is only approx 40cm across Report
February 25, 200719 yr Author comment_149754 how bout this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Generators-electrical/auction-89599999.htm or this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-89600008.htm Report
February 25, 200719 yr comment_149767 how bout this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Industrial/Generators-electrical/auction-89599999.htm or this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/auction-89600008.htm Is this for a planted tank? This thread may get more hits in the Aquatic Plants section. I think that'll work but its just a matter of finding the right light spectrum bulbs and mounting them. Considering they can't be too close to the water/glass as they'll get really hot. All that said and done though, thats roughly $110+ a light fitting and you'd need a few just to even out the light above the tank, which wouldn't be cheap. Thats my 2 cents anyway. :lol: Report
February 25, 200719 yr comment_149771 If you want El Cheapo lights I think you may be best to buy second hand flouros. There is not much point in running massive metal halides because they give off a lot of heat and use a lot of power. Intense lighting is not much use unless you go the full hog and add fertilizers, CO2 and a bigger power bill. That is hardly cheap lighting. You will probably also need two or three to get a decent spread of light. Report
February 26, 200719 yr Author comment_149788 ok cool I have been trying to keep an eye out for second hand flouros. Guess ill just keep waitng and try to save :lol: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.