a shark tank?

Gannet

im sure every one in the life has wanted a shark tank so i thrgt i would ask the questions...

what size tank v size of shark can we have in lil ole NZ?

how legal is it?

what to feed them?

what types of sharks?

where to get them?

filteration?

ok have i missed any thing?

this is just soming thing that was sitting in the back of my mind...

...and before i get my head blowing to smitharines NO im not looking at geting sharks any time soon lol. just an intresting topic!!!!!

P.s. NO ARGUMENTS!!!!

I can see myself quite happily housing a Great White myself... ho hum :lol: :lol: Only a shame I have a shark phobia... of which I am working on :roll:

I am sure the National Aquarium would have some great info on requirements... however the money involved etc would be through the roof I would imagine, and not to mention space.. merely impossible unless you are someone like Donald Trump with heaps of pingas :lol:

There is a really good book about sharks the guys in the fish only and aggressive tanks forum on reef central will tell you.

As far as I am aware though you are not allow to keep the sharks but I geuss if you were to try a dog shark (I think they max out at 3 feet) or something similar would be practical but a huge tank excellent filtration and a whole lot of knowledge are a must before trying.

yeah i saw a shark egg for sale in australia just last week. you just buy the egg ready to hatch and have a baby shark swimmign around in the tank. they were only tiny sharks but still. they had a similar set up at underwater world on the sunshine coast while i was there.

they had a little under water light set up behind the egg so you could see teh baby shark wrigglign behind it. it was a decent size egg like the size of a tennis ball if not slightly bigger.

they also had moray eels for sale a lot over there. this is probably a bit of a marine noob question and sorry for thread hijack but can you get those in NZ. they had all sorts of snow flake and zebra stripe ones.

Someone has already pointed out that you would need a big tank, big chiller and good filtration. A carpet shark or benthic species would be suitable, but i would think carefully about this project. Probably cheaper to buy a concession to a aquarium in the long run.