Heeeel[ Meeeee

paddy_whack

My neons seem to be experiencing difficulty, from straight after being fed, to about 30 minutes after, where they have difficulty swiming and seem to be forced to float to the top, tail-end first. They try to swim back down, but are overwhelmed by the mysterious "current". It seems to severely stress them. In some cases they've been floating on their sides at the top of the tank, and ive had to shake (!) the tank to force them back down to swimming level. This is occuring with ALL my neons, but seeing as my tank is only neons thats not much of a consideration.

Is this something that happens to all Neons? Is it because the food bloats them which forces them up to the surface? I wonder if its a sign of fin-rot or some other such disease?

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that food. Is it a pellet type or a flake? If it's a floating pellet try soaking it in tank water for 20 minutes or so before feeding them. It might be that the pellets are bouyant enough it's making the fish float and hopefully soaking for a bit will waterlog them enough so they won't make the fish float. If that IS the case the easiest thing to do is change to a different food. You could also try switching to flakes for a little while and see if that stops the problem.

try feeding them a lot less at a time.

If you are only feeding them once a day, dividing the amount by four,

feed them four times a day.

They may be pigging out.

I feed "trout pellets", crumbles.

A New Zealand made food used in the trout, salmon, and goldfish farms here in NZ

But this has to be watched as far as the amount goes too, especially if it is freshly baked.

Alan

hi paddy_whack - is this a new behaviour with your neons or have they always done it when you've fed them? How long after feeding does their behaviour go back to normal?

Every few days my neons get a break from flake with defrosted daphnia - I buy it frozen, break a small amount off and defrost then squirt it into the tank and they have a ball ......it would be even better with live daphnia ( they often beat the guppies to the mossie larvae) but only have the frozen available

:D sue

Tis' right Caryl, but I've been using them for years now, and only really had one bag that was bad, and had to be fed very sparingly.

It was fresh and over cooked.

The fish bloated very quickly, and of course there were the enevitable deaths until I had figured what was wrong.

Alan