Aquapods in NZ

nz_mitch

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a bit of reading about setting up a marine tank and one of the things setups I came across at nano-reef was the all-in-one Aquapod 24G. Looks like great buying at $299.99 USD but is there any cost effective way to get one into NZ?

If not, any pointers on how to achieve that sort of setup around the $500 mark (before livestock, live rock etc. of course) would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mitch

PS: You can view it here, but I'm sure most of you have read about them.. By the way, if you hate them - let me know why and how I can achieve something better!

Yea, I was pretty happy with the setup - but the quote to freight was over $500 USD, that's more than the tank!

I was planning on starting slowly with a FOWLR setup then taking it from there, but there's some great examples on nano-reef of what people have achieved in these tanks.

nz_mitch- but the quote to freight was over $500 USD, that's more than the tank!.

freight can be a real killer, but would be cheaper if more than one person got together and ordered a couple. BE WARNED however that using this site to join with friends and reduce costs is now banned and any person caught doing such a thing faces a permanent ban. this also applies to anyone trying to buy anything except off a "Retailer", or someone recognised as an official retailer.

also please dont attempt to discuss this policy in this forum as that is also banned.

i just thought id post this friendly warning as the link in the saltwater section doesnt seem to go to the more severe announcement, which is in the announcement section. hopes this makes sense :)

I believe you will be soon able to buy a full nano set up.

Hagen has one coming out shortly to all retail stores which will have everything included.

You will find most budget items like the nano set ups will be on par with overseas prices anyway so why bother getting it overseas.

maybe its not such a bad idea getting banned with rules like that,isnt this forum about helping the hobby not making money

That's exactly what the new policy is intended to do - help the hobby.

The policy is there in an attempt to preserve the public profile of the hobby. Without retailers, there is no public profile, and little chance of boosting numbers in what is already a tiny tiny market.

Look a tel's thread here: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/whats- ... 18625.html

That's what the FNZAS don't want to see, shops shutting down their marine sections because they're not making money or braking even, because no-profile people undercut them. How is that for the good of the hobby?

FNZAS are just doing their job.

Most people get into this hobby by walking into a pet shop and seeing the displays of marine animals.

This hobby is too small not to have that public profile. And that's what happens when the small market is divided by people who don't have a public profile, undercutting retailers, and making it less viable for shops to operate their marine sections. Which means that less people are exposed to the hobby, and you get fewer people entering it. The hobby remains small, and that keeps prices higher, because volumes remain low.

It's not good for the hobby. I think the FNZAS are doing what they can to support the hobby, and this is one thing which can't hurt.

People keep applying ideas which exist in mass markets, to the tiny marine market. I don't see it working that way.

Layton

if people think that the artificial manipulation of the market, by trying to force all business thru retailers will actually grow the market and then lower prices, well these people may end up sadly disappointed. it makes just as much sense in todays world as to try to reintroduce export licences, subsidies and other such artificial mechanisms to force people to spend their hard earnt dollars as others see fit. in the reality of the internet age it simply isnt gonna work.

in fact the major bulk of my equipment was purchased direct from the importer/agent at the suggestion of the senior marine guy at an auckland retailer. go figure :o

Wow, what a site.

Just checked it thru quickly and came up with this for brine shrimp catching.

Something that the older ones here have / had but can't be obtained now; the multiple set of nets

http://www.shopsolution.nl/shop/home.as ... d=combzeef

These are fantastic for sifting mozzies, daphnia down to various grades.

IE, I use it for mozzies when I want the bigger ones, soon to hatch and bigger mouthfuls,

and I then put the tiny ones back to grow on, ditto with the daphnia, but in reverse, keeping the breeders