5 foot flouro's

Aquarium Dude

Pretty easy to wire them yourself, or if you're not electrically minded you probably have access to somebody who is.

If you're getting a fitting, then its all wired up anyway, just need the 3 wires (Live, Neutral, Earth) wired to a $4 power socket, and plug that baby into your $10 timer 8)

I'm making a small DIY one at the moment out of a fruit and vege bin from an old fridge, some $5 bayonet holders, and a pair of 6500K daylight lamps I got for $3.95. I paid $4 for a plug too but you really could just rip the wire off an old computer or similar. I haven't had a shock since the late 90's, as long as you respect the power and don't get too cocky.

Make sure everything is OFF and if you're not confident, find someone who is, dont electrocute yourself.

Certainly if you're not electrically DIY, its always best to buy pre-made Aquarium lighting.

5 foots are fine, its when you go to 6 foot that the bulb choices are limited to virtually nothing.

I couldn't even find a T8 tube when I was looking for the fitting I had on the old tank. Ended up with some dim flickery old crappy t12 80 watt thing in there. Pulled that and stuck in a pair of 4's staggered so that they overlapped in the middle and WOW it was so much brighter.