Driftwood discolouring water

Southerrrngirrl

I recently pulled out my old ornaments from my tank in favour of a piece of driftwood, going for a more natural look in the tank. Several days after I noticed the water had a sort of brownish discolouration. I assume this is just something leeching out of the wood, is this correct? And if so how long can I expect to have the brownish coloured water for? Should I be doing more regular water changes to get rid of it more quickly?? Is there something else I should be doing?

The driftwood was purchased from LFS, and I did enquire as to what sort of preparations needed to be done before adding it to the tank. I was advised that I could chuck it straight in as all treatment and preparations had been done already.

you did say you wanted a more natural look! :wink:

It may leech for a while then slow down.

Depending on the type of fish you have, it can definitely make it look more natural. THe wood in mine gives a slightly yellow tinge to the water, which works well with the stream habitat I am going for.

If the LFS sold it, it should be fine. Tis just tea!

Stella

Yes well thats true Stella, but I'm not a big fan of the colour of the water!

I thought the ph would be lowered, as I'd read somewhere that it can do that but on checking tonight, its still at or just above 7.0, where it was BEFORE I put the driftwood in. Weird.

So over time it will clear is that correct?

• 2 weeks later...

if you want a cheep way of fixing it just boil it for awhile, or just go into your pet shop and ask for somthing to stop the drift wood doing that, ther is a few things that will help. i have 3 very big pieces in my tank, the latest i added on the weekend. when i put the first two in the water went yuck but that ended up going away in two weeks without a water change. my letest piece i poiled it or about an hour which was hard to do because of the size, but my tank did not change colour.

I have bogwood from the lfs and I just soaked it in the bath for a couple of weeks, renewing the water every few days. It still leaked tannins a little but after awhile with regular water changes it disappears. IMHO I would avoid putting chemicals in your water to get rid of the colouring, since the colouration does not harm your fish in any way.

Yeah I try not to put any chemicals in my tank if I can avoid it

you could also use purgin, as the biochem zorb it will keep the water crystal clear

I've seen a friend use one of those products or something similar (sorry but I can't be sure which one) and it worked really well at removing the tannins. But it totally upset the balance and the tank took a dive and he lost all his fish. He now swears that he won't put anything in to remove tannins, instead he recommends patience. The colour will disappear.