January 2, 200719 yr comment_137709 Eventually sat down with a cold one to put together this post. Tank build started approx August with arrival of drilled tank. 1500 x 600 x 600 Cabinet did not suit a proper sump... Planned to open up cabinet with this.. completed that which looked like this.. Mean while back at the ranch bought some old rock and started cooking in a barrel... smelly business sump design... pretty simple... Painted back of tank. I had to cut a hole in the sump bracing to allow for the return. Drilled a hole with a glass drill and then used a ceramic hack saw length blade to free cut the elliptical hole. I was surprised at how easily glass can be cut. Planned on using an Oceans Motion 4-way so lots of pipework I am fortunate as the sunken lounge allows me easy access through the wall to all that nice and cool space under the house :bounce: 4-way currently suspended with rope while the pump base is sorted. using an Oceanrunner 6500 for the 4-way closed loop. Tank top, the 25mm is the return from the sump fed by a laguna 6 situated in sump. The 32mm on either end is part of the 4-way closed loop. Running a 32mm full siphon and have a 25mm emergency overflow that is plumbed into a drain below the house. A 3-way valve allows me to pump water back up via the 25mm overflow for water changes from the garage which is below the lounge. Currently tank is cycled and have a couple of mullet and glass shrimp in there to help get things going. Have taken the bigger mullet out after it would eat everything that was put in the tank not giving anyone else a chance.. Had to use fish hook and pillie Actually released him and did not end up in the bait fridge.. :roll: Lights is series3 Arcadia with 2 Actinic and 250W MH's Biggest problem so far has been phosphate with the tank I used to cook the rock was leeching phosphate so the rock is full of it... running a heap of Rowaphos to help clear it up... hopefully over the worse as readings are now below 0.1. from a reading over 3 A few large including a 100% water change did not fix phophate, reading would be off the chart 3 days after a water change Skimmer is deltec 1250 on stilts to get water height correct. It does make it awkward to clean the collection cup as space is tight due to high water level in sump. At this stage still tidying things up and trying to get my head around kalwasser dripping and dosing magnesium and calcium. And trying to bring PH under control. Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137713 Looks like it is coming along very nicely. Biggest problem so far has been phosphate with the tank I used to cook the rock was leeching phosphate so the rock is full of it... This is a bit of a worry. What sort of tub were you using? I'm just getting ready to get some new tubs/barrels for water changes, rock cooking, etc... it would just be my luck to end up with the same ones as you. Looking forward to your progress. Cheers, Steve Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137724 funnily enough cracker its your old one looking GREAT tee-em :bounce: :bounce: Report
January 2, 200719 yr Author comment_137725 JoeBlog... the barrels, I found out later contained ingredients to make hand cleaner.. :evil: I originally asked and was assured that it contained safe ingredients that do not harm the environment... should of asked more questions... Cracker.. Aye.. as your keen eye spotted it is 1250 turbo. Still having a play and getting used to setting it correctly. I Have quite a bit of micro bubbles making it to the display so need to play with some temp baffles to try and reduce them. Report
January 2, 200719 yr Author comment_137733 Thanks Jetski,... hehe funny kit does the rounds eh Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137734 Strange my 1250 is RIGHT next to my return pump with no baffles?? Report
January 2, 200719 yr Author comment_137737 I am assuming the skimmer is the culprit... will switch all the lights off tonight and get the big torch out.. Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137793 looks great tee em, nice to see a well thought out build. i also have the ts1250 and it sits next to my return pump, no micro bubles at all. do you have the sponge on the out let? Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137822 I used to have a 1250 skimmer and was very pleased with it. I have a Ocean Motion setup on my return and it is quite noisy and needs cleaning often. It needs a BANG every now and then to keep it working. I still like it so don't be put off too much. Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137828 true, might take mine out, save me cleaning it evey few days. Report
January 2, 200719 yr comment_137831 I used to have a 1250 skimmer and was very pleased with it. I have a Ocean Motion setup on my return and it is quite noisy and needs cleaning often. It needs a BANG every now and then to keep it working. I still like it so don't be put off too much. That's interesting about the OM. I've had mine running for almost two years now and never cleaned it. I get snails all the time in the pump itself, which I have to clean out regularly. Each time the OM has no buildup of any sort. One problem that I did have with it initially was that I was trying to push too much water through a single outlet drum (~3000 gallons per hour). The high pressure kept breaking the magnet connection between the motor and the drum, i.e. it didn't spin (loud clicks). I'm currently running the two outlet drum and it works like a charm. If you are having problems, I would contact Paul at OM. He provides the best service I've experienced in the hobby so far by a long shot! Report
January 3, 200719 yr comment_137948 I want an OM. Anyone willing to sell theirs? I've got $100 I'll give you! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.