Dying Babies :(

fishtv

HELP!

Not only have my platty babies died, all my livebearers panic when put into the guppy breeders and abort their babies!

We are new to keeping tropical fish and still get attached to the little ones! :)

We are thinking about setting up a small "breeding tank" with plenty of breeding grass etc, is this the only way?

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help us!

Hi Fishtv, normally our first post is an explaination of who we are, where we are from, what fish and tanks we have, what experience we have, and this is done thru the Welcome area, anyway, welcome to the FNZAS forum site, here all queries are looked at, and if anyone has some sort of discussion that they think can help, they will.

So pull up a chair and enjoy.

Back to your question, breeding traps are seldom used by experienced breeders for just the same reason you have stated, the females sre taken from a place they know as home and are put into solitary confinment and a small enclosure alone.

What would you do? Freak out?

That's what happens here.

We don't find much use for these traps, except maybe to have them inside a tank to grow the fry on a bit before releasing them into the next tank for them to carry on their growing. But be careful when doing this as larger fish,like cichlids, can suck a baby out of the trap or other fish can, and do, jump into the trap, have a feed, then return to the open tank a bit more replete.

So your idea Fishtv to get another small tank setup is a good one, and when not in use for that reason, can be used a a quarantine for fish for new aquisitions or as a hopital/treatment tank.

So catch the MTS disease and start getting a few more tanks setup.

You'll need them if you are going to get serious about breeding fish.

Alan 104

Breeding grass is more for egg layers. Livebearer fry will move all over the place so floating plants will be helpful too. Of course, if they are in a tank with no other fish at all they don't need anything although, if the mother is in there too she will eat as many as she can.

I make my own breeding traps out of those 1kg catering spread containers. A local cafe is more than happy to give them to me. :wink:

I cut away the sides and bottom so I just have a frame and then cover with nylon shade cloth. (Like you’d put over strawberry plants in the garden.) I make sure the hole size is large enough for the babies to swim out off. I sow them up with a carpet needle and nylon thread. – I use a carpet needle as I make the thread 6 strands thick.