Bog Wood Brown Water

MartyM

Hey All

I have just put some brown wood I bought from Animates into the tank after soaking it for a week (with water changes every two days) and it is still starting to cloud the water. I have put in a charcoal pouch in the filter but doesn't seam to make much of a dif. Also the water PH has dropped to 6.4 from 7.4 and the bits of wood are to big to boil.

I only have a couple of Corys and a guppie in there at the mo as it is a new setup and needed to be cycled. The tank is an Aqua One 180L corner tank with a Aqua 1 CF1000 ext filter unit.

Any idears?

Thanks. Marty

thats interesting, personally i dont think abit of driftwood should cause any problems as im sure there'd be some in there natural environment, I dont use chemicals at all I dont even treat the water for chlorine nor have i ever done any tests on the water :o , If there's a problem in the future I may do some tests but I dont try fix what aint broken, ie if the fish look ok then thats good enough for me and I havent lost many fish at all considering :lol: !

When I first started out I set up a tank with bog wood and overstocked it :roll: . I knew a little about cycling but I never had an ammonia spike :-? and all the fish survived :D .

After talking with the LFS owner all we could put it down to was the presence of the bogwood keeping the pH acidic. After a while the the colour will lighten up but I wouldn't worry about it.

Using pH Up is a big mistake as there is nothing to keep the pH buffered. All it will do is make your pH swing wildly and probably kill the fish. Better to have a stable low pH than a wildly variable one.

I have huge bits of driftwood in my tank and it has never altered the pH, depends on the type of wood I guess.

If it is worrying you, put some shell or bird grit (the stuff you buy for chooks) in the filter. That should keep the pH up a bit and stable.