Hard coral question

Jammos

Hi

I have a hard coral frag and it has been doing well (it is originally green with white bits) when i had 2 fluros but in the last couple of weeks i have added a halide and it has started to go white with fuzzy purple stuff on it...

why is this? is this growth to or a disease that i need rid of?

here is a photo even though it isn't too great...

Coral.jpg

it shows how it is greeny on the bottom left and purpleish on the top right

cheers

The pic just is not good enough to say for sure, but there are 2 possibilities I can think of, one is that the frag is dead or mostly dead and has coraline algae giving it the purple colour, or the other possibility is that it is supposed to be purple and needed the extra light to achieve this.

If there is any way you could post a better defined pic that would help.

well the photo is crap (sorry) to start with. but it looks like you have calcerous algae growing on the frag which is not good. on the other hand icould be that your frag is going nice purple (unlikely) which would be great. since you changed bulbs i would say move the piece down to a lower lid spot and see how it reacts. all the best with it.

I agree with Ira, thats what it looks like to me. Anyway to get to your problem, since you have just increased your lighting a whole heap I think you should just move it down in the tank, the extra light will have shocked it.

What sort of Mh have you added, is double ended? if so does it have glass between the bulb and the tank? The DE bulbs give off heaps of bad UV light that will burn a coral to death in hours unless you have glass inbetween to filter it out

hey thanks for all the replies.

The tank has been nice and steady until the new bulb and now i have a huge outburst of brown algae (don't know if this is part of the problem) The yellow acro i have lower in the tank is doing fine so i might move it downwards.

suphew the mh is double ended and there is a lid in between that and the light as well as te light having a glass cover. but i would say he is only 30 cm away so burning might be the answer.