How big is too big

Aquarium Dude

when your moving any tank is too big.. lol the movers loved moving my 5x2x2 made from like 12mm glass and lots of bracing :)

But generally 3ft's are good you can generally move them yourself or with your partner and they dont hold alot of water so water changes are easier as is filtration etc but its a pretty open ended question..

Yeah if you are likely to always be moving take ryanjury's advice. Also, when tanks become 1000's of litres the power consumption in tropical and marine tanks might become too costly, mainly in winter when the heater is always on, heat pumps can do the trick :D

its too big when you cant be bothered with it :D

ive got a 2.5m tank and its not too big :D but it is a nightmare to move!!!!

but i would say 3footers are great, filters,lighting,heaters etc...... all cheap, easy to maintain and move.

I guess it also depends what you are after, with my larger tank i am aiming for a packed out malawi display, hence a nice large tank.

do you have any fish in mind for this too big tank? :)

If you run out of air while diving in your tank doing maintainance... its too big!

Or if you need to do decompression stops when surfacing... probably too big :lol:

Seriously, IMO 3-4 feet is a great size. Plenty of water, so depending on fish load you can easily do water changes 2 weekly, and with plenty of plants they look great too

No such thing as too big :D , just don't move and that solves everything :lol: .

But watch the depth. In a planted tank it gets difficult if you can't reach the bottom (i.e. top of the substrate) and light has difficulty penetrating to the bottom for ground covers.

Big is best because you have a lot of water to act as a buffer if something goes wrong. For me 3ft is the barest minimum.

More seriously though, obviously too big depends on how much you're willing to put up with.

Once you get to a size where you can't reach anywhere near the back or the bottom of the tank the maintenance starts to get more difficult. Bigger tank=bigger and longer water changes, more cost for heating, lighting, etc. Once you hit a certain point in expenses and labor needed to maintain the tank and it stops being fun and becomes a chore. That's the point where it's too big.

I think 4X2X2 tanks are about the perfect size. Fairly big, but not too big.

I recently bought a 5' by 2' by 2' tank. It was good advise from the forum members, cos if i bought anything bigger, it would have been too heavy to lift and move.

If it is any bigger, it is bit too hard to get a good grip of the tank. I wish we could have handles for the tank :D .