Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Moonlights?

Featured Replies

I just saw that a lot of tanks I looked at, have moonlights. What's the benefits (aside from looking pretty) and where can they be purchased from in NZ? Any other tips I should know?

Pretty much looking pretty is the major one. You can get some nice cold cathode fluoros from Dick Smith I think that should work well.

  • Author

If I did get them, where do I put them? Would I need to get a custom lid thing made? How much do they usually cost? They do look really cool.

I think there was a someone on this site that made there own a while back and posted how they did it, they worked well too and for memory only cost him about $20 bux, Ill do a seach and see if i can find the link!

Cant find the post i was thinking of but if you search moonlighting, moonlight, diy moonlighting etc you'll find some good info on them as a number of members of this site seem to have made/had them before!!

I made some a little while ago from some blue LED's, wired them onto resistors and then into a 12V power supply. 10 LED's, with 12 v resistors cost me $5 off trademe, and the powerpack was just sitting around here... Very easy to do....

  • Author

Thanks. However, I'm not electronically minded and get confused with things. I think that I'd be better off just buying something from somewhere. Unless someone on here could give me a price for making me something if it works out cheaper than just buying straight out? I'd just like to be able to set up and plug in and watch!

  • Author

So, would I need two lights on top of my tank if I wanted moonlight? Or is there a type I can buy for in my tank and if so, where can I buy it from?

  • Author

So you mean somehow put it so it's straight up and down on one side of the tank? Where would I purchase something like that from? Are there submersible ones available in NZ?

So you mean somehow put it so it's straight up and down on one side of the tank? Where would I purchase something like that from? Are there submersible ones available in NZ?

I think what Ira is saying is that she wants lights shining from one side of the tank (from an above water position) to the other end of the tank...

yes you can buy lighting like this at all good fish stores. you could also look at underwater pond lighing- I haven't seen anyone with one of these soorts of things in their tanks but I can't see why it wouldn't work

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.