So how did you get hooked.

Pegasus

Hi Members,

My first experience with tropical fish came in my early teens. I used to fish with a young guy that was a great pal and we would go everywhere together, but strangly he never invited me home, until this particular day he did.

After a while he invited me into his fish room, a dark damp cellar in the lower bowels of his home.

I was fascinated, as there sat numerous tanks with all manner of fish that I can't remember, but one thing stuck in my mind and that was a pair of Siamese Fighters (Betta splendens) spawning. I was glued to the tank as they went through their ritual, and days later I watched the young fry swimming around and feeding on a thing called infusoria, which at the time was a new word to me. My friend showed me the ropes and I was hooked, and I knew from that day that it was to be part of my life.

Many months later my first planned spawning was a pair of Pearl Gouramies. I was truely addicted. :)

Pegasus.

So how did you get hooked??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its trying to stop myself from getting more tanks thats hard :roll:

I have been keeping fish for 3 months so I am only new.

I have a 36"x18"x18" comunity tank and one 24"x14"x14", its been a battle trying to findout what fish can be kept with what, and the local fish shop are not to much help at times.

My aim is to breed Clown loaches, yes and I know that has never been done consistantly but i like to try the impossable :P When my 7 loaches are big enough ill build my loach tank complete with simulated rain ,lightning and a river enviroment as close as possable to the conditions found in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...

My folks had fish for awhile when I was younger (I am now 22). When I moved into a flat in my 3rd year at uni that had the space for a tank I thought why not. That was a 30L tank. Soon it was too small and I bought a second hand 150L tank which at the time looked HUGE to me. I would love a bigger tank but finances, space and the fact I am in rented accomodation and have yet to settle in a place due to being a student still means I wil just dream of bigger tanks for now.

One of my plans in the future is the construction of my own house. I want to have a large conservatory with pond and turtles and somewhere to house my cacti (another hobby). I also want a built-in 1000 litre tank that is the focal point of the lounge.

What got me hooked? Well I guess I just like the underwater environment since I am studying freshwater ecology at uni right now.

• 1 month later...

Deleatidium said...

> I want to have a large conservatory with pond and turtles and

> somewhere to house my cacti (another hobby).

This all sounds familiar. :)

I bought a house last week, of course it's got a conservatory

(not for turtles or fish) since I also have a few peculiar plants

(Stapelia-like things, many carnivorous plants, orchids

and some big scary aroids as well as a vast collection of ornamental

Oxalis). It also has a tandem garage, some of which will become

a fishroom, a 'sleepout' where the turtles and fish (and rats) will

live temporarily at least. I'm debating about turning the swimming

pool into a turtle or fish pond.

I think I'm going to be busy over the next couple of months. All

good fun during the tedious winter, of course :)

Andrew.

My aunt has a pond that she had just redone, after going thier and seeing her goldfish............. :o They were huge, we have had goldfish before, even tropical fish, but never really got interested. After seeing the size in person of how big they could get basically got me into it, now im really after growing BigFish :D:D

• 1 month later...

My daughter asked me what I'd like for mother's day and I said a goldfish in a bowl would be nice - two months later I have a 20 litre tank, a 36 litre tank and a 90 litre tank plus an empty goldfish bowl! :roll:

(See more about me and my fish in the Welcome Forum).

Good to see your bowl is empty! They should not be allowed to sell them as housing for fish.

Just finished reading your post in the welcome section. Is your floor braced enough to take the weight of these tanks or are they spread out? Of course, a concrete floor won't be a problem.

Is your floor braced enough to take the weight of these tanks or are they spread out? Of course, a concrete floor won't be a problem.

Hi Caryl

Yes we have a concrete floor thank goodness although the 36 litre tank is sitting on the buffet bench between the kitchen and the lounge, think it's fairly safe though.

I had a tank on my bench island and thought it would be fine as it had cupboard bracing underneath. Over time it slowly bowed the bench top and we could not shut the cupboards properly. After removing the tank though the bench straightened up again thank goodness :D

:-? If you think the goldfish bowls are bad Caryl. Some sales rep persuaded our buyer (at veterinary clinic) to purchase cup size bowls set amongst castle, wizard or other similar objects to house bettas in. They barely have room to turn around in. I objected strongly only to be told the rep said because they are labyrinth fish it was ok. I increased by objections and to date none have been displayed that way although I suspect they are discreetly sold for the castle/bowls are incoming in orders I note. There must be a law against such cruelity. :evil: :evil: :evil: :x

I digress. I got started with fish when getting stressed out working with cats n dogs and seeing how wonderful the fish were. Then I saw a betta splendens and was hooked. Now the angels and discus just enable me to relax and unwind at the end of hetic day of cats n dogs. :roll:

I objected strongly only to be told the rep said because they are labyrinth fish it was ok

Hi Goldie

I love those Bettas too, would love to have some but think I'd be heading for a divorce if I bought anymore tanks just yet!

I did note the shop had the males in very small mirrored containers, as you say hardly room to move around and I don't think they looked very happy at all, but what do I know.

I was told I could put one male in my goldfish bowl because they don't need a filter or bubbler of any sort - would anyone here recommend that or is it just a very slow way to die?

Don't forget it would need to be heated - unless the room is kept at a good temperature.

Yes I'd forgotten that - oh well I think I'd better just concentrate on those 3 or 4 hundred tiger barbs Pegasus suggested :lol: or that larger tank I need for a tropical community or........

I think one built into the wall would be very nice too!

Hi again Dawn,

Hate doing this, but....

PLEASE don't put a heater in your goldfish tank. It will shorten their lives considerably.

Goldfish can survive freezing conditions outdoors for months on end, and in many cases can live (I could be wrong here but) ten years or so plus or minus. Why spoil this. The goldfish might look ok, but in the long term it's demise will arrive sooner.

The same applies to most tropicals that are kept for long periods at well over the prescribed heat. They too will die a premature death.

By all means get yourself a Betta, but keep it in the right enviroment, and if it's a male, you can only house one per tank.

If your goldfish are not TOO large, then why not consider some White Cloud Mountain Minnows. They are beautiful little fish and will give you a further interest.

Perhaps looking at your situation you should extend the house a couple of rooms or so. This tropical and coldwater bug is really catching :):)

Happy Days,

Bill.

Hi Dawn,

Sorry if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick :)

I saw:

I was told I could put one male in my goldfish bowl because they don't need a filter or bubbler of any sort - would anyone here recommend that or is it just a very slow way to die?

I have seen white clouds living with goldfishes but the goldfishes in question were all very big veil tails and could not move fast enough to catch the white clouds.

Don't get any more fish anywhere Dawn! Sit back and enjoy what you have. Let your husband get used to the new tanks first :D

Wait a few months and see how they all settle in and what happens as they grow.