Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

HOW is everyones frontosa doing................

Featured Replies

  • Replies 128
  • Views 27k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Fishman:When FF said Ikola he meant fontosa sp. not Tropheus ikola.

Cameron:Those fronts look awesome dude great pic's.

Craig and Shell are probably quite chuffed bout how many are out there.

their was a kig with the burundis and i think some of the fry got out in nz

I hope that is not the case. How sure were the breeders of what fry came from what? :-? :roll:

Nice link Brad, I used to be a manager there lol. Here is an article on Frontosa's.

http://www.wetpetz.com/frontosa.htm

The big male Burundi{first pic} was huge, used to be in the 10ft display tank at the front of the shop.{Alan that is the tank with the alligator gar in it, used to be an African Cichlid display tank}

Even the photo showing the juvenile Kigoma's have a tear drop.

The wetpetz website is a good site for those wanting information on anything to do with the freshwater world.

Also nice photos Cameron & Brad.

Frenchy :D

Aha.

Now I realize what "kig" is.

Kigoma.

Thanks for telling me. Not

Alan 104

I was just assuming, dangerous that is :lol: Alan's a quick learner, maybe we turn him to the "cichlid" side of the force. :roll: :lol:

Frenchy :D

I finally found the 7 bar tonight, and I realized why I could never find him. All the Fronts like to point ----> in the tank. And guess what? He only has 7 bars on <------ that side. So it was a fluke that I found him.. it took some extra yummy treats to get them all to turn. :lol: So yah.. 6 bars on one side, 7 on the other. I didn't get pics, sorry. Don't have the camera tonight. (Work camera)

Cool, that dosen't happen often at all. The burundi's here have been known to throw the odd one like that. odd as in rare. Why? No one really knows for sure. There are theories, but non can be proved.

Frenchy :D

Now that I'm staring at them.. I'm noticing that there are a couple of different colours in there. The 7 bar is the most common colour amongst them. Theres one that's about the average size, but has very light bars, and a very light almost transluscent blue body. The biggest one is hella darker than the rest. :lol: Yah.. I never really stared at them like I did tonight but.. theres a few really distinct ones that never seemed distinct until now. Yay for ultra close observation! :P

Colours can be just a mood thing. Dominance, sex...at a small size could be just how comfy they feel.

fronttankdec2_640x480.jpg

If you look at the pic, notice how one has 7 bars. It isn't a kigoma either. Photo is from a foreign member of this site.

Frenchy :D

Hey guys I have been researching abit more on Frontosa and came across this article of different types of Frontosa

It talks about different varients and how the Kigoma must have a tear drop on the face and how the Zaire is so blue its nearly purple(without a doubt the best Frontosa I have ever seen was a Zaire)

its a worthwhile read

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cyphomaniacs.php

Brad

By the way keep the pics coming guys

Ill try and get some pics of my Burundi in my display tank

I have read that article before & it is a good read for the fronnie people.

Gives very good information on selecting fish, breeding, raising, sharp objects, different variants...written in a nice light hearted manner too.

Frenchy :D

  • Author

the zaries and like moba,ikola,tanz all have a mask around there face on the eye bar and burundi have a bar going

straight through their eye not like this one where the bar goes around the face mobaagain075.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it took me long enough, but as promised... first pic is the 7 bar, close up. And second pic is general progress report. As I said before, it's only 7 bars on one side, 6 on the other.

7Bar3.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

The fry should mostly be 6 bars.

Breeding the better looking fish is the better way to go though. {as in the more proper looking}

Be a cool display fish all the same. Get people to count the stripes, then wait to the fronnie turns around & ask them if they were sure. Good way to tease kids. 8)

Frenchy :D

Recently, it's been a good way to tease ME! :lol: But I finally got my pics, so my mission in completed now. Will have to find something else to occupy some of my free time with.

recently got the chance to get 5, still only little but doing well, currently living with 6 greshaki babies and 1 fryeri. one has 7 stripes on one side and all the rest 6. carnt wait til they grow up :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.