Is there a way to stick pvc pipe to polythene???

Insect Direct

Ive been meaning to redo my turtle ponds for some time and got sick of trying to plan it out so decided a week or 2 back id just do it 1 afternoon and it turned out ok for a temporary thing but been in a rush I decided to stick a pipe through from 1 pond to the other and siliconed it in but the silicon has come away from the pipe so now im toping up the water every day so really want to get it sorted sooner rather than later!!

DSC02770.jpg

DSC02768.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as its sorta holted me from finishing it off & really dont want to rip it up and start again!!

Can't really see from your second photo MiNcIE, but what you may need to do is get the correct fitting for the PVC pipe that you can glue on, with say a male or female screwed end, get another fitting that suits the polythene pipe, with either a male or female thread (obviously the opposite to the fitting on the PVC pipe) and screw them together, before making off onto the polythene pipe, or you can get a "MAC" union and make off a fitting on the PVC pipe with a male thread on the end, make off the fitting on the polythene pipe also with a male thread on the end, screw each half of the MAC onto your pipes, and then do up the Mac union.

You can get a fitting with a back nut to connect the polythene to and a thread the other end tp screw into a PVC fitting. You cannot glue polythene successfully with anything, even RTV. It is the connection used to join the alkathene to the Sanitary plumbing at the foundation line and is available from a plumbing supplies shop.

OK well, been to the water centre, mastertrade, crightons, plumbing world an plumbing solutions and even palmers garden world but no1 wanted to help me and kept sending me to other places lol, what a mission and still got a leaking pond!

thatll teach me for just doing it in a hurry and just sticking a pipe through!

Yea I like your idea but i dont think theres enough slack in the lining so Ill keep thinking, something will come to me, otherwise it looks like another $40 smakas for anuda lining but hopefully it wont come to that!

The turts must think its monsoon season as its atleast half empty then i refill it each day lol, hopefully get it sorted this week as the hotwater bills gonna be getting up there this month dammit!!

Hansen buld head fitting.

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/Pumps/hansen/through_wall/through_wall.htm

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/Pumps/hansen/through_wall/Inlet+outlet_fittings/through_wall.htm

They have rubber seals and you should be able to tighten them enough to stop the water getting through.

Plumbing World, Mico and most hardware stores have them or can get them. You can cut the part of the fitting that takes a hose and screw on a PVC fitting that the pipe can glue into. Use plumbing tape on the thread.

You can't glue it .

Yes you can with http://www.3mcompany.gen.tr/intl/kr/img/adh/adhesives/dpseries/DP8005.pdf It's not a cheap way but is excellent for problem plastics and dissimilar materials too.

Unfortunately you have to use the 3m applicator gun with it special mixer nozzles witch will set you back around $100 before you even get started then the tubes of glue are around 50 to 60 $ and have a short self life once opened.

Cheers

Tank Man.

The best place to go would be Wrightsons Farmlands or RD1. What you need is beyond the comprehension of most plumbers and plumbing supplies. You can get couplings, you will be able to get them locally. From your brief description and seven years out of reticulation I suspect you want to add a universal transition coupling. Basically you need female coupling with one side non PE. Personally when I get around to plumbing the tanks I intend to use anka quick lock couplings.

I would also suggest going to pacific pools and talking to the guys there, they understand plumbing concepts for tanks and ponds.

Well did abit more looking around today, went to the pool place in waikanae and in pram but no luck, also went to farmlands but no good either and the couplings would be perfect but they only come in sizes upto 50mm so im told and the pipe I used is 65mm.

The product tankman mentioned sounds good but too pricey for me, thanks for the suggestion all the same!!

So for now ive taken the pipe out and just taped the 2 holes up :o with some wide insulation tape and that seems to be holding for now, otherwise was gonna go and get a new pond liner but cant be bothered today, so ill see how the tape holds and may have to replace the liner in the weekend if not before!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :bow::bow:

Yea it did x my mind but with a 50mm pipe and 1 of those fittings I dont think it woud fit the holes I made :(

So far having taped the holes up it hasnt leaked at all but im sure it wont last for very long so Ill have to address it again soon enough which will probably mean putting a new pond liner in & maybe with a 50mm pipe and fitting but Ill see how she goes!

Originally I had 2 seperate ponds in there all planted up with sand beds and 2 of everything like lights- filters- heaters etc so the reason for changing it was to make it all linked up to save on power mainly, which effectively Ive done now having just 1 of each but 2 much bigger ponds (still need a proper divider though) so If I do have to go out an buy another liner and maybe those fittings itll start getting up there pricewise, but anyway live a learn & in doing this ive learnt my lesson "not to rush things" so If i do have to re-address it Ill make sure I plan it out first!!

1. So I can Seperate the males from females if need be.

2. Needed some way to get to the otherside of the pond so the division is good to walk on, I guess i could of just chuked some big rocks in there to step on though.

3. I may put my snakenecks back out there soon.

4. Ive got about 19 turtles all up so the moor tanks/ponds the better.

lol I used to have around about 40 odd turtles a few months back, it/I got abit crazy, so 19's abit more manageable to say the least!!

• 16 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...