Just got some jap fire bellied newts

jamestothemax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL - Back on topic - I had a pair of these fellers a few years ago - however as they got older they looked more like Chinese, but just about every website I checked had different photos.

Mine definately preferred land over water, I kept them on round gravel with a small fern & overturned shells etc for cover.

Favourite foods were aphid dusted with reptile growth vitamins and, of course BLOODWORM!!

Just maker sure there are no escape holes anywhere.. I mean it they can fit through just about any hole and can climb straight up glass.

Enjoy, they are fascinating little monsters and don't panic if you see them malting - and they don't need help getting undressed!

Not a silly question... I fed em on land because they didn't go into the water much...

I believe at the beginning I had to wave them (the bloodworm) around a little to make the newts interested... After a while they learned when was feeding time and would scamper straight to the bloodworm as it defrosted!

Thanks thats good to know about the bloodworms, ill be trying that this week when i get some more bloodworms!

Ive got some lil (7-8 months old) chinese firebellies and they seem to love aphids and whiteworms, but like alanmin ive never seen them in the water which i thought was odd, maybe they dont go in the water untill abit older and when close to breeding perhaps??

I rememer reading if you mist or keep the land area moist (like i do) they dont need to go into the water so much as they are all ready hydrated, if that makes sense!

So maybe if the land area is kept dry they maybe tempted to go for a swim every so often, just a thought as maybe thats why some seem to stay in the water and others dont :lol: :lol:

well my to japanese are now getting settled in their new home. Thye have so far gone nuts for daphnia and a few of the baby guppys i chucked in and im about to give them some white worms to try it out.

I have seen them both in and out of the water. i covered my land side almost competely in moss and its pretty damp so they seem to enjoy that.

ill try get some pics up sometime so you can see them living it up in hotel de newt

True sounds abt like what ive done, I do think spagnum moss will be a good idea though and i remember seeing some up in the hills a year or so ago so i may go back and see if its still there!!

Heres a pic of my newt setup when i first set it up, now got a bit of drift wood linking the water and land and the plants have grown abit but basically the sme;

DSC02210.jpg

lil newt stalking some white worms;

DSC02231.jpg

2 newts on the rock'

DSC02443.jpg

wow i havent heard that before. ill definately keep it in mind if i am lucky enough to have a pair and get some young. white worms will definately be their main diet from me.

The daphnia have all been mentioned as a suitable food in the three books i have read on them so far:

- Newts and Salamanders (Frank Indiviglio)

- Slamanders and Newts (Dr H. R. Axelrod)

- Newts: Their care in captivity (Jordan Patterson)

but yeah the young ones i could imagine not being able to get them down properly. I guess baby brine shrimp would be a suitable water bound food for babies ?

I saw a doco on japanse rice paddys.

It included the newts and they were eating daphnia as well as other foods like live blood worms.

I only repeated for others to keep in mind, if your main food is daphnia and you start lossing a lot of baby newts this is something to think about but so is fungus infections particularly as they start to change.