How are the "New to Marine" people going

Krama

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evil, i will be interested in following your progress, if you stick to the no fish idea.

One question, why did you not put the skimmer on to the smaller tank? You will still get a considerable amount of crap coming out of the rocks, even without feeding.

i have a 60-70ltr tank with nothing but rock in it at the moment, the skimmer still fulls up every week, be it less than when i have a fish in there, but it still removing something, so there must be something to be removed....

Hi Mark,

I started Sept this year, tank finished its cycle few weeks ago.

Have 1 clown, 1 sail fiish, 1 damsel, a fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp.

Tank is 180L with hang on skimmer, and just got a uv light, which has made alot of diffance, had a alge bloom for five weeks, that went within two days of useing the uv light.

Have some soft corals, thanks to chris, plus lots of advise which has been great, just wish I had heard of this site before I started the tank, would have saved loads of cash, and time.

Thanks to all on the forum, for all your help to us newbies.

:oops: cant work out how to put photo of tank here :roll: :cry:

ah, now I can see what you are up to.

I bet you are feeling alot better now the green glow has gone. Must have made interesting discussion point with visitors... questions like "is it surposed to be like that :o

Where is the skimmer?

My Tank is clear in the mornings, then starts to get cloudy when I get home, but then I get a temp increase during the day, from 24C to about 27C. Is this too much of a temp swing?

If you look at top photo you will just see skimmer on left of tank.

My temp goes from 26.9 in morning to 28 in evening.

see you was asking about shrimps from rock pools, I got two snails from beach, and they are doing a great job of cleaning the rocks.

Was thinking, has anyone thought of starting some sort of club, or maybe hire a village hall where frangs and bits and pieces to do with this hobbie could be sold, just a thought, I would be first in the door.

Hi I also am a marine newbie I started out with a AR620 April this year

but then decided to have a tank made 700x520x500 I know rather small but all I could fit in has a sump underneath using a red sea protein skimmer (thanks muchly steve) still to get T5 lights at moment using 3x 2ft lights 1 marine blue 1 marine white and 1 power glow. Have xenia, leathers, frogspawn, colt coral 1 blue tang, 1 clown, 3 chromis, 1 flasher wrasse. Absolutely loving having the marine tank so different from my cichlids.

Will have to get a bigger house so I can have a bigger tank. :lol:

Good thread Krama.... Nice to know how everyone is going with their new projects!

Mine is doing great, I still haven't figured out how to get a nice pic of it however, but everything looks good. The clowns are happy and healthy as is the tang. And coralline algae growth has now replaced the horrible cyano, yay!!!

Ken and I bought our first coral the other day from Hollywoods, it's a lovely little frogspawn. The tank is now starting to look really colourful with all the frags that have grown at least twice their size since it's been set up :)

As soon as I figure out how to get a good pic without the reflection on the glass I will post one in here, might be a good little mission for tonight :D

there are alot more than I thought out there setting up tanks, or still on the learning curve, the steep part.

I have white spot, and I am taking it personally.

Not much I can do from what I have read, apart from making sure that all are well fed and happy.

Coral beauty, comes and goes, thought I had it all cleared up, but then back again, an now my manderine is showing a few spots on the face.....

not a good feeling to see them like that :(:(

Hey Krama - good thread idea. :hail: Nice to see plenty of folks getting into the marine scene and some neat setups in the making

One thing though - your last post you mentioned your mandarin. While being a very cool little fish they really need a well established tank (read at least 1 year old here) to do well. They feed on all the microscopic stuff that grows in your tank over time (not real sure of the techo name :oops: ) and your tank probably hasn't developed a big enough population of them to sustain the mandarin as well as keep reproducing to keep him in food.

I would keep a good eye on him to see if he is wasting (ie getting skinny)

Just a bit of advice

Skippy wrote:

(not real sure of the techo name )

Rockerpeller wrote:

they eat pods.

Now I know the techo name :D:D Thanks rockerpeller :hail:

I did have one that would eat dead food. Had him for a couple of years but he's gone to the pod buffet in the sky now :( May replace him soon though if I can find a nice one as they are very very neat :D My one was called "Mao" as in the chinese dictator Mao Tse Tung, chinese = mandarin - get it???????

Oh never mind :o

i thought they only spoke mandarin in hong kong and cantonese in the rest of china? could be wrong.

You could be right too - I have no idea :o The name suited him though :D

Anyway, we are off topic and wouldn't want to hijack an excellent thread so back to the "newbie marines" now :D

there should be enought there in the tank. I have alot of rock, and it was crawling with "bugs" before i put him/her in. Looks very fat, but that might be the initial food fest. Will keep an eye on it.

Any more new tanks to have a look at?

:o