A Prowler from OZ

jhans

Hi, to all

Great site from what I’ve seen so far. Was looking for info on tropical fish when I stumbled into this site. Very informative and helpful.

Anyway Here I am. My name is Jelte, I,m 46 in live in Berwick Victoria Australia.

My wife and I have two dogs, three cats, 15 budgies 10 quails and of course the fish.

My wife also has three horses.

Anyway, I had kept tropical fish back in the 70s as a teen and have now started again when my wife rescued and brought home 8 neons and some catfish that had been kept at her place of work by a co-worker who wasn’t looking after them. They were being kept in a small 10†tank. The first thing I did was to go out a buy a 2 ft tank and accessories, set it up and released the fish into it the next day. That was 18 months ago and my wife loved it so much that we now have a 4 ft tank. I have noticed that keeping tropical fish has become a lot more technical now. I had to go back to the basics and learn all over again. However, I can’t seen to be able to get or keep my nitrate CO3 levels below 20ppm. This has been frustrating has I have lost fish at levels above 40ppm in the past. I don’t know what more I can do. I do a water change of approx 25% - 35% every week or even up to 50% if Nitrates go to 40ppm or above.

I use a gravel siphon for draining picking up as much rubbish out of the gravel as I can. However, I have been told that by doing this I could be constantly reducing the number of good bacteria and therefore hindering the biological process. The other thing that concerns me is the rubbish that builds up under the underground filter. How do I get rid of it without stripping out the tank.

Dos anyone have any ideas on these issues or am I worrying unnecessarily.

Many Thanks

Jelte

Tank size 48 US GALLONS or 180 Litres

how long in operation? 4 Months

fish :

8 neons 3 bronze catfish 2 peppered catfish 4 med Anglefish 3 Kuhli Loaches 3 brishelnose catfish

2 pearl gouramis med 2 blue gouramis large 2 thicklipped gouramis small

2 gold gouramis med 3 redtail black sharks med 5 flying foxes med

Temp. 24.5 C or 76 F

Ph 7.0

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 30 – 40 ppm

kg/kh General hardness 9db carbonate hardness 3kb

type of filtration underground with 2 motorized uplifts and an external canister filter

aeration 1 6inch air stone

Welcome to the fishroom Jelte

There certainly is a lot more gear readily availible for the hobby these days. Others are better at advice than me, but one thought have you tested the water you use for water changes for nitrates. I have heard that occasionally the water supply can already have nitrates.

Mark

jhans welcome to NZ fishroom. Nice to see a neighbour dropping in and making themselves at home :)

Re your tank I am sure others here can help you too. Did you cycle your tank when you initially set it up?

I have the u/g filters and use a vaccum thingie for the water changes (see how technical I am :lol: ) I find that I can grow plants too with the u/g filters which is great for the tetras etc.

Once again a warm welcome to you :)

Hi there and welcome to a great site. :)

We had the same problem with my tanks as well until we purchased a water purifier. One of those sort that are used for a spa pool and since then we have never had any problems. The councils seem to enjoy chucking all sorts of chemicals into the water to keep us healthy! :lol: :lol: We also added a internal cannister filter to help the four undergravels do their job. We dont seem to have any problems with water clarity etc. May not be any help to you but this has worked for our tanks.

Happy fish keeping.

Hi, to all

again. However, I can’t seen to be able to get or keep my nitrate CO3 levels below 20ppm. This has been frustrating has I have lost fish at levels above 40ppm in the past.

plants ...

lots of fast growing plants. If they are healthy the fish will be healthy and you start worrying about low nitrate levels instead

Cees

:D

Hi jelte and welcome. Cees might have a point as you do not mention how many plants you have with the fish.

Although fish keeping has got more technical over the years, it is not a great requirement when keeping fish. I always like to use the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid! :D It works for me (and I do not need anyone making any remarks like - well they don't come much more simple than Caryl - either).

Thanks Guys

I do feel that I have enough plants in the tank. The whole back of the tank is filled with plants (and the fish have enough hiding places now) and I find myself trimming them back every three to four weeks. I did have a problem with algea for a while but that has settled as the tank cycled or cured or whatever its called then its all settled down. My local Aquarium, I think called it new tank syndrone. I havent lost any fish for a number of months now but I would like to keep the nitrates around 10ppm or lower if that is at all possible. Anyway. thanks to all for the warm welcome and your ideas.

Sincely

Jelte

hi Jelte and welcome

I've got plants and UGF - and I worried about the gunge under the filter too - now I just use my siphon thingi and try and get as much muck out as I can especially at the front of the tank where it seems to build up

I clean the gravel as close as I can around the plants (used to pull them up....siphon..... replant....they didn't like that....died :cry: )

regards - sue