Java Fern won't live!

antwan

Hey there. I have never been able to keep java fern for some reason. This is a picture of what always happens to it. I have tried keeping it in my planted tank, with strong lighting, CO2 and ferts, but this happened. So now I've tried putting it in my discus tank with moderate lighting and no CO2 and ferts. pH is 6.4. Any ideas?

P9260013.jpg

After very generously being given this plant I would hate to see it die...

The plant is in with just a very small sword plant, but the lighting on top is pretty mediocre; two "daylight" bulbs which are pretty yellowish (that'll teach me for buying cheap bulbs). Any idea where to get "white" bulbs in Tauranga for cheap (opposed to $30 ones from the fish shop).?

Cheers.

I don't think it likes a lot of light so the lighting should be ok. It doesn't like its roots buried but you seem to have it on driftwood so that can't be it either. Reading up on the net it said some plants seem to melt but that they recover again.

This link talks about the need for nutrients to avoid melt and points out that the fern can't get nutrients from the gravel - so needs it in the water.

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquariumfis ... 04&search=

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jude

Good lighting is the key IMHO

Our planted tank has 7 CAEs, so we wanted to grow a bit of algae, so I opened the curtain. The Java Fern gets 4 hours of sunlight a day, and since then growth is substantial, and all the leaves are bright bright green, before this (even with ferts) half of the plant always looked dead and only the new growth was green.

It seems to strongly benefit from good full spectrum lighting. My tank has alot of plants, and I've stopped using ferts. Ph 7.0 - 7.2 temp is high at 28-29C, and its got around 2000L/hr filtration and DIY CO2.

Friend of mine also suggested that it prefers clean water.

If you are shopping for fluoro bulbs, get Phillips Colour 86 '6500K' Cool Daylight. If you're using those eco-saver bulbs, Budget make a 6500K bulb, and Switched On Gardner will have something for you too. If your light is yellow (even just a tint of yellow) its the wrong temperature. Bulbs should be bright white. It must say 6500K on the box, eco bulbs are normally 2700K.

Edit: just realised what I posted is the exact opposite of the advice above :o sorry! but this is what I have found :) it could be a fluke maybe? perhaps my tank matured around the same time I opened the curtain *shrug*

Yea, I do the water changes because I have young discus in the tank that are still growing. By doing frequent water changes it means there are little to no nitrates in the water which are ideal conditions for growth. I'm not exactly sure why nitrates inhibit growth, but they do.

We had Java ferns initially that weren't really Java ferns - they looked a lot like them (well to us as beginners), but they were apparently bog plants and once completely submerged they slowly die.

Same thing happens to some plants sold as amazon swords I think...

Anyway, we replaced our with some that are definitely Java ferns, and they have really flourished.

• 4 months later...

BUMP

Put a few Java ferns in my planted, and my 1000L and both lots have turned brown-like the leaves are rotting :evil:

the only place I seem to be able to get the stuff to grow is in the planted part of my 1000Ls sump and the tank I have setup for my baby amazon swords to grow out :wink: ---no ferts lots of fish

anyone got any more ideas/experiences

• 1 month later...

I find that Java ferns grow very well in my community tank. There is only a couple of other types of plants in the tank (which might help) and not many fish. :D I am often getting baby plants growing off the old leaves of the adult plants. Some of them are growing on logs and others planted in the gravel and they seem happy in either place. The lighting is not very good in my tank. So, I would try some plant fertiliser, because I have never found the lighting to be a problem.