how thick should the polystyrene be for

Sweetysmum

Okay this is gonna sound Newb but what is the reason for putting poly under the tank again I know to balance weight and ensure no bumps etc but I look at my tanks without and poly and think if I put poly under them the weight of the tank is gonna send the plastic framing right through the poly or crush the crap outta it and the bottom glass will rest on it thus stressing the glass.

Guess a lil confused at this point I get the base idea but looking for a lil better explaination or are these tank bare glass bases and thus no plastic frames that they sit on?

Poly basically just smooths out the bumps. An added bonus is that it insulates the bottom of the tank. It isn't an item you must have but it is HIGHLY recommended. There is a poly called styroderm or more commonly blue and green foam. These are high density and aren't as forgiving as white foam. I do recommend insulating the back, sides and as much of the tank as possible. Use a glue gun to attatch the backing to the poly and the tank. Works far better than nails :-) This will reduce the power cost by a considerable amount if running heaters in the tank.

When I got my first big fish tank made up (5ft), I was about 15 at the time, and I still remember the guy explaining to me in one short sentance why I needed to use poly underneath:

"Glass doesn't bend well."

10 years later and I still find that amusing.

I've only setup one tank without poly, it was 3ft and about 120 litres, previous owner said it didn't have poly under it before (turned out he was wrong btw), the base cracked right along the length of the tank, and within about an hour or two it'd fully drained dry.

No not acrylic Tankman. I don't like acrylic as it marks too easily. I am getting TM to make me a tank and stand. He probably thinks I have forgotten about it but I am still working out size and what to put in it.

Think I will get rid of the Malawis and get knifefish. Don't know anything about them so will have to research and see what can go with them too.

all clown knives, no matter the morph get relativly same size. Which is about 39 inch's.
taken from Monster Fish Keepers. so obviously need very very large tanks. they average around 2 foot in most tanks though due to insufficient housing i would assume, seems not many people on MFK report of clowns over 30" though- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... 819&page=2

not too up on africans but ive seen a 40cm BGK.

sorry to hijack thread, i just love big fish :lol:

No not acrylic Tankman. I don't like acrylic as it marks too easily. I am getting TM to make me a tank and stand. He probably thinks I have forgotten about it but I am still working out size and what to put in it.

Think I will get rid of the Malawis and get knifefish. Don't know anything about them so will have to research and see what can go with them too.

good things take time, no rush :D