ID please?

Aqua

amazon.jpg

this was sold to me as an Amazon Sword, but I'm not too certain that's what it is...

It was bought fully submersed, and has always been that way... The root structure is HUGE, as I found out when I had to move house a couple of months back! :lol:

Can anyone give an edumacated guesstamite? :P

Your video card has absolutely nothing to do with how long the picture takes to load. It's your internet connection, I'm assuming dialup?

Looks like amazon sword...MUCH nicer than mine, mine's all covered with black patches of algae I can't scrape off.:(

I had not given up on this ID for you 95% of the swords that I know I have ruled out for various reasons. I am now considering a far smaller group that I know you are likely to be able to purchase in NZ.

It is similar to plants like Echinodorus argentinensis (I have seen submersed growth look very much like yours, don't confuse emersed growth it is very much different most pics online are emerged, This is a very common plant that forgets to stop growing at times) , Ech pellucidus Sample Image

(this one may have a different name nowdays still looking at times on this)

But even the above names I am not happy with just yet.

I do not consider it to be Ech paniculatus, Ech amazonicus, Ech bleheri for various reasons, these are all the so called Amazon swords.

It could also very well be a hybrid or a throw back from another strain this is not uncommon, I often see strains having throw backs and not looking like the parent stock in any way, Marble queens are a classic example parent stock have the marble effects and yet the young can show no marble at all and are just green but with a similar shape leaf and growth habit to the mother plant, and in this example case it would also be hard to ID it would unlikely be ID'ed as a marble queen because of the all green leaf and yet it would not be fully ID'ed as anything else.

Sorry Ira I am unable to agree that it looks anything like a borneo sword(Spatiphyllum wallisii)

I look forward to other feed back that may point to a plant that I have not considered for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Ech osiris has been used in quite a few genetic crosses in countries like Germany,Holland and many other places like Singapore, These are the main sources for new hybrids and lots of work done in these places over the last few years is now becoming available on there respective markets (Not in NZ) worth looking at sometime using a translator.

I did not consider that name at all sorry Warren nothing made me think it was a cross with osiris. Leaf tissue between the veins looks very different most osiris based plants tend to have a semi transparent type tissue with cross veins easy to see, This unknown plant in question strongly shows the main mid veins only. I also considered the length of the petiole (leaf stalk) compared to the length of the leaf and the picture shows that the petiole is at least as long as the leaf, This is one of the points that stands out to me and made me think that it was not the plants I have named that I consider it is not to be in the above post.

And a few other factors that I will not go into. Echinodorus are so variable under different conditions and even some of the common types are not always easy to ID 100% straight off.

Just yell out if you get a flower spike Aqua, perhaps you might consider sending one of the offspring my way so I am able to grow this plant under different conditions until it reveals itself as to what is is exactly.