Tonic salt

2fishy

Yeah I got some of that cichlid salt sounds pretty gimiky to me and I wont be buying any more.. It contains a whole heap of stuff thats supposed to be really good for the fish btw tankgirl can get it in alot cheaper than the pet shop or you can just find how to on the net and make the same stuff for a tiny fraction of the price :)

IMO the salt that i've seen looks and tastes like rock salt that they sell in the supermarket, ok so i havent taseted it but i might :-? , I'm pretty sue that ppl with brackish tanks use marine salt and i was resecently wondering if i could use that in my fresh water beacuse of its added nutrients.

Can the gold be good for fish? lol

tonic salt, natural rock salt [from supermarket], coarse salt and pond salt are pretty much all the same with pond salt been the cheapest.

marine salt is different as its like an concentrate of salt [man made not natural] with added nutrients and what not. don't know if its a good idea to put it in fresh water though but it does work in theory as full strength salt water is 30-50% of dissolved salts in parts per thousand, brackish is 10-30% and freshwater is only 0.5% or less.

sooo....using red sea salt as an example 1kg mix 30Litre so u would be safe if u add less then 5gram per 30litres that's not including the salt already in the freshwater so to be extra safe i would just put around 1 gram per 30litre :D of cause that's in theory so who wants to be the first :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have reasearched this alot and its quite likely that there isnt enough Iodine in salt for it to be a problem with fish

Some salts you can buy arent just salt

Like for example Seachems range of cichlid salts are modified so that they have the same minerals and elements that are found in the specific lake your trying to recreate

I know that water was sampled from the lakes and boiled down to find out the exact percentages that these minerals make up in the lake

So theoretically with RO water and exactly the right amount of this mixture you can recreate the lake exactly

Its up to you which one you use as using normal sea salt will help its not as good

Brad

Iodine is not the free flowing agent added. They are separate.

Did you know Roman soldiers were paid in salt? That is where we get the term "Worth his salt."

The word "salary" comes from it too.

Rock salt is mined from the ground, unlike our table salt (from Garssmere) which is harvested after evaporation.

Here is some reading on salts.

What are they good for,

http://www.aquascienceresearch.com/APInfo/Salt.htm

What is in sea salt

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_salts.php

The recipe I use for my Africans, cheaper option, thats for sure

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/buffer_recipe.php

Frenchy :D