Warning To Fishtank Owners!

Chris.L

Taken from XtraMSN Website

Warning To Fish Tank Owners

Reuters

(Reuters Health) - Owners of tropical fish be warned: cleaning the fish tank without wearing gloves may get you a bacterial skin infection, especially if you have an open cut or abrasion on your hand or a depressed immune system.

Writing in the medical journal Clinical Infectious Diseases, Dr C Fordham von Reyn and colleagues from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Centre in New Hampshire, describe eight adults who developed sores, mostly on the arms, after cleaning their fish tanks.

In six of the eight people, lab tests showed the culprit to be Mycobacterium marinum, a bacterium first identified in dead aquarium fish in 1926. This bug was found to infect humans in 1951 after being isolated from skin lesions.

The use of chlorine in swimming pools has drastically reduced the number of skin infections among swimmers. Today, most reported skin infections linked to the bacterium come from contact with fish tanks.

Antibiotic therapy took care of the infection in most cases. But one patient's infection failed to resolve after about two years of drug treatment as well as attempts to cut out the sores. This patient had a depressed immune system. He had psoriasis, melanoma, and was taking steroids.

Fish-tank exposure is the source of "most cases" of M. marinum skin infections, the researchers warn, and may be preventable by using waterproof gloves.

SOURCE: Clinical Infectious Diseases, August 1, 2003.

02/09/03

Chris-

Neither do I.

HOWEVER

I have cuts on my hand at the moment, and there's no way I'm putting my hands in the tank to do the 'gardening' that needs to be done... Once my cuts have healed, THEN I'll do that... No sense in taking too things too far (with gloves etc), but no point in putting myself in the firing line! :P

Should we believe 'all' we hear.

Recently on one of the forums there was referrence to "Angel Aids" would you believe.

Apparently highly infectious and is killing thousands of fish in the States.

Yet others from the same states say that they have never heard of such a thing and it is all a myth, but it certainly is causing panic in some places whether it is true or not.

• 1 month later...

i did a stupid thing one of my fingers had some cuts on it and i had to stick my hand in the tank to free a fish useing both hands

ops

if you don't hear from me again i guess i got it and died hehe

if you do happen to do something stupid like i did just wash your cut with anti-bacterial soap