We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.
Everything posted by the-obstacle
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
ahh yeah, I'm using pure dew for top off. I haven't managed to get through a 10L bottle yet but if I start needing more I'll look into RODI.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
Nope. I'm all NSW for this one.
-
Building a tank + stand + everything else
powerglo will grow anything really really well. Some don't like the pink colour of them so maybe have another daylight tube at about 6500k or even 10000k to white it up a bit.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
I expect so. I have plans to run an auto top off but until then I'll top it up daily.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
I've been quite happy with my other nano so far. I just ignored it and it went well There are 2 cockatiels in there. They don't talk but they wolf whistle. It's going to be open top so nothing
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
Making noise and throwing seeds on the floor They're rad.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
Thanks I'm picking up a pair of clowns with their anemone on the weekend all going to plan. If the skimmer and lights don't get here on time I'll see if the seller can keep them for another week. Other than that I might add a cleaner shrimp and a hermit at a later date. I've got a pink leather that's not doing well in the current tank so I'm hoping the extra light and skimming in this tank will pick it back up.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
your wish is...something, something, etc.... The cube in all it's glory. I painted it with gloss black instead of matt black as the silicone looked glossy. I really like the black base. oh, and the lid is temporary. and here's the view from the couch through the cube, the bird cage, the dog bed and the lounge tank into the kitchen beyond. I hope everything else gets here by the weekend...
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
For the LEDs? US$33 for the kit with heatsink and fans.
-
aquarium computer thingee... does it exist? what is it calle
Yeah, it looks like it's designed for permanent submersion.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
Turns out my current LED light unit fell into the current tank over night. Not exactly sure what damage it's done to the tank but I'll be starting the cube with all new NSW because of it. Damn it! I have a spare LED unit exactly the same so I took it apart to see if there was anything in it that might have poisoned the water but there's nothing other than wires/circuitboard/leds so unless something leached out of the PCB it should be ok. I'll be rinsing everything tomorrow and moving to the new tank early...
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
I ordered the 36 LED kit from aquastyle. I think I'll end up using 20 LEDs all up though. They're 3w bridgelux chips and I went 50/50 royal blue/white. I've ordered 2 UV bulbs which I'll mix in with the whites as well but will have the blues and whites on separate drivers so they can be dimmed and turned on/off separately. I'll turn 2 or 3 of the left over blues into a moonlight with a spare driver. In other news - the paint is dry on the tank. Just doing the second coat on the surround I've made for the base to hide the poly. Should have pics up tomorrow. I expect to fill it by Friday.
-
aquarium computer thingee... does it exist? what is it calle
I'm waiting on my arduinno based LED controller computer to arrive from boostLED in the states. There's a big movement in the DIY scene in the states to add PH/temp probes, wave controllers as well as the LED lighting (which it does by default).
- Rosco's 350L build
-
Garden Snail for feeding cichlids?
What? :dunno: I didn't know but assumed they weren't. Wikipedia says they're related but different. I guess I never cared enough to figure it out
-
Building a tank + stand + everything else
I suggest going 900 over 800 as most 3 foot lights will be too long for 800 and 2 foot won't be long enough. 900 is just right
-
Garden Snail for feeding cichlids?
are slugs shell-less snails?
-
The What's Up? thread.
New tank time! :thup: I love the process of putting tanks together then quickly get bored with running them. :roll:
-
Building a tank + stand + everything else
I haven't really been following this but I'd build the same tank in 6mm minimum in Auckland so if you're going for strength then I'd say 10mm is your best bet.
-
Hey would a wooden Pallet
Just in case anybody else is watching/searches this thread at a later date can you explain why the blue pallets? I think I know but can't say for sure.
-
Obstacle's Nano Cube
New tank time! I've just picked up my 400mm rimless cube in starfire/low iron glass with black silicone. Greg did an amazing job and I'm really impressed with how good the black looks on the edges of ultra clear glass. I've just put the first coat of black paint on the back pane (and base in case I go without sand) so I'll take some pictures when it's dried and I can set it up in it's new position in the lounge. I've ordered a Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer from the US and a DIY LED kit from AquaStyle Online which should all arrive this week. I already have a nano sized wavemaker which will have to do for the time being but ultimately I'll upgrade it to something a bit more powerful. At the end of the week I'll be scaping with the live rock and sand from my first attempt in preparation for picking up a pair of clowns and their anemone on the weekend. It's going to be tight but should all come together at the last minute. Exciting times! :thup:
-
The What's Up? thread.
3 hours at Kelly Tarlton's and I could have stayed longer. Awesome.
-
cycle 'dead' coral rock
Sit back and wait.
-
High Tech Planted Tank UPDATE 06.10.2012 now closed down
I had my pair of german blue's in with a pair of cockatoos and then a group of agassizi and they all got on fine. The breeding apistos gave everybody a hard time no matter what but in the big tank there was always somewhere for the others to hide. Breeding apistos will kill something in the tank if they get the chance. They're nasty and persistent fighters but lovely otherwise
-
Gamers
Exactly. But on ps3 it's only 24 players at a time which is still ample. I think I've played about 9 hours today. Same again tomorrow and I haven't even started the single play yet.