Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

Chamelions ?

Featured Replies

Just to day I recived my membership pack for the NZHS and had a look through the magazine that comes with it and noticed that another NZ herper magazine has an article on keeping jacksons chamelions can we get these publicly or just in containment. :-?

no they are in private hands, talked to a breeder while back. she had a few but they where really hard to raise...

could be coming through in the next few years but for a good 5k at least!!!

Heaps of people sell them (and other species) in Canada but I wouldn't recommend most chameleons as pets though. They are amazing creatures and all and I would love to have one, but really the majority of chameleons don't do well in captivity. I think that they generally just dislike people. Most don't like to be handled and don't like the limitation of their enclosure. They also tend to get weird diseases or just stay skinny now matter how much and what you feed them. The ones that seem to do best in captivity and often breed are Veiled Chameleons. Not sure if you are a reptile pro or just starting out, nor do i know if Veiled chameleons are available in NZ, but that would be my advise :)

Ye thats what I have heard as well. Although I've known of a few people to really enjoy keeping chameleons and I have to admit, they would be awesome to watch, feed and to keep as long as the keeper has decent knowledge about them.

Sometimes MAF can be strict :cry: but I guess it's for the good of the country. Wish we could have FW shrimp though...

I doubt if he'd tell you they weren't containment or he'd have a million people pestering him to buy some. Best people to ask would be the authorities, but even then I wouldn't expect a straight answer...

Chameleons?! I didnt know you could keep them legally!

Is there a complete list somewhere, where you can see what reptiles you are allowed to keep? Would be really interesting to see!

Pete

Chameleons?! I didnt know you could keep them legally!

Is there a complete list somewhere, where you can see what reptiles you are allowed to keep? Would be really interesting to see!

Pete

we have wanted that list now for a long time...

Jackson's Chameleons, as far as I'm aware, are not a containment species. But you do need permits to hold them. Any other chameleon species either is a containment species or doesn't even have ERMA approval, let alone an import health standard, but you can be sure that if they ever crop up, chameleons will be containment species. Most reptiles applied for that we don't already have will be containment from now on I believe.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.