Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Crayfish

Featured Replies

I told my uncle the other day i'm slowly building a saltwater tank bit by bit, he's offering to get me a crayfish for my tank on one of his diving trips if I want one...

I think it would be awesome to have one in my tank but no idea if there is anything that you have to do while keeping them (e.g. the right food / water condition...)

Any one ever kept one or know of any one that has? :bounce:

he would only legally be able to bring you a cray that was bigger than the legal limit

you're gonna need a good size tank to keep a cray that big

  • Author

yea I would make sure the cray is legal since my cuz works for MAF and wants to have a look at my tanks :lol: plus the same uncle also offered me a 500 liter tank so i hope that is big enough... if not no cray

there a guy up thames area who sell them. they where on trademe.

he frams them.as he cant reless back to the wild so he sell the babys.and maf improve.?/all he had was a five foot tank for five of them with some rocks for caves and feed them mussel.as for keep water at rigth salt mixure and water cold at 18 and below as they are more happen at lower temps.i whould get a chiller for the tank.as had two for three years but i did not have a chiller and cook them .hope that helps

  • Author

I all ready have (for the most part) the gear for the saltwater tank.

Where abouts is 'Jansens' puttputt? (or is that some one on this forum?) cause if i can get a smaller cray or 2 that would be much easier to keep than an adult cray

We have one in the tank at the moment, and as livingart said....they will eat any and everything. They crush up mussels, scallops, snails basically anything with a shell will be crushed and eaten...damn strong.

They are pretty cool to watch, but inactive during the day, once the mainlights are out he's straight out looking for more trouble and occasionally swimming. You will need a fair bit of room and all the rockwork to be glued or stuck together somehow.

You will also need a decent skimmer as these fellas make a mess

DSC01834.jpg

  • Author

ah ok, oh well I'll just wait till my uncle goes diving next and I'll get a cray off him. I'll just have to put the shellfish I was going to keep in the sump tank so the cray doesn't have an all you can eat dinner while i'm not looking.

Thanks for the pic Oceandose, gluing the rocks together... now why didn't I think of that lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.