Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

fluval maintenance?

Featured Replies

Does anyone know of where I can have two of my fluval filters ( a 104 and a 204) serviced. The 204 has an electrical fault....in that the power just aint getting through, I bought the 104 on trademe to keep us going till I got the 204 either fixed or replaced.....and the damn thing leaks, presumably a seal thing which means that it won't function...I can prime it , but priming causes leaking around the handle area and I can't get enough intake to provide a power run output (i.e. only a manual output if I stay there all day priming it.) I chose the fluval because I was so pleased with my 404, but now I am wondering if I should just try another brand, the 204 is for a 180litre tank and the 104 would have been used for my 90 litre tank. Now we are settled and NEVER MOVING......EVER AGAIN....(*speaks up loudly for husbands sake*) I want to get these tanks set up and running properly with good filtration and good lighting, and adequate heat for the various sized tanks, water quality has been a bit hit and miss with one thing or another just not being ideal. I am also finding it VERY hard to cope with standing buckets of water....what is the minimum time that they can be stood for before using? Having come from the country where we had our own well water additives were not a problem.

Thanks.

shelley

Most of the time you just fix your own filters when they break..

The fluvals fetch quite a high price on trademe almost or even more than a brand new aqua one so id just buy one of them but that doesn't help you now. If you google around you should find a parts break down for them and buy the bits you need to fix them, the electrical fault maybe hard because the tops sealed, so unless its the cord (and you would have to get that repaired properly because its close to water). If you need advice on how to fix them maybe post pics on here and people can try and help..

I don't leave my water to stand at all I just use the hose straight into the tank, if I was worried about chlorine I have a bottle of super concentrated dechlorinator thats for ponds it works out really cheap I used to use it but gave up and haven't had any problems..

  • 3 weeks later...

Animates will order parts they may know of someone who repairs. I ordered some parts off them about 4-6 weeks ago.

Also I don't add anything to my water it goes in straight from the tap, But Christchurch water is pretty good. I heard it was pretty good all round canterbury. Some one is welcome to say if they think I'm wrong. If you're not sure whats in the water you could ring your local council and ask.

The one that is leaking will probably need a new seal. If they aren't lubricated with silicone grease then they will dry out and begin to crack. (Don't use vaseline as the petroleum will disolve the silicone rubber.) After learning the hard way I now look after the seals on all my filters (at least every 6 months), it also makes the filter open and close easier.

Grant has it. When I asked him where he got it from he said "I don't know. It came with some electronic stuff."

Try Dick Smith or something.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.