Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mega tank

Featured Replies

Oh man I love MEGA tanks. Be so great to just have anything in there. You'd even get away with 20 male Siamese fighters. Be nice to have a big fish rescue type of thing, e.g for giant gouramies, pacus, plecos, arowana etc.

Changing 10 000 gallons per week

lol - remember how important those 20% weekly water changes are guys? Stop whining about it think of how it long it must take this geezer! Esp paralysed from the chest down, poor guy but what a feat.

Reminds me the way it's set out of the 11m tank at Butterfly Creek near the Auckland airport. I didn't read it all and it might be in there, but I wonder how he keeps the sides clean?

oh man, thats so freakin awesome *dies*

i LOVE arapaima, they get to like 15 feet easy :hail: not the greatest looking fish but the size makes them mega cool! good to see the man has taste and has pacu and GG in there too, no point putting piddly fish in there, youd never see em :lol:

i like this

I had to do it on a budget so it is not fancy like a public Aquarium.

BUDGET!!! geeze, ill bet most of us wish we had the cash to even start building something that size, let alone finish it!

The green tinge to the water disappeared over the first year

now all you guys that moan about this, think about having to put up with it for a year :lol:

that guy rules, i wonder if hed like to have multiple wives? :lol:

IF the guy had multiple wives... I don't think he would be able to afford the tank :lol: :lol:

  • Author

I was scanning through the thread and came across this. It was about what was eating his stingrays.

Quote

I was surprised when it happened. I have unfortunately witnessed a Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum roll up a 10" stingray like a taco and take him whole.

The 14" however had been in the tank with these other fish for 3 years, so it was a surprise.

Not sure, the suspects at the time (1997) were:

a 27" Pseudopimelodus fowleri

a 50"+ Walego leeri

any of 5 Phractocephalus hemioliopterus

the largest weighed 90lbs when he was killed in 2003 by a 24"black shark Morulius chrysophekadion (The smaller shark inflicted repeated bites on his head

either of 2 Sorubimichthys planiceps (48" & 54")

either of 2 Pseudoplatystoma fasciatum (36"-40")

How about the size of those fish some are over 4 foot long :o

  • Author

He buys them when they are small and keeps them in his grow-out tank until they are big enough to survive in the mega tank.

Guess how big his grow-out tank is?

56,000 liters.

He also has heaps of other tanks in the 3000 Liter class.

Unbelievable

loved the part when he talks about the rocks and how the small fish can hide and by small he means under 12" :lol:

has anyone skim though the whole thing?? i just got half way just want to know if there were any more pics :D

I just spent the last 11 hours in between tv, laundry, cooking dinner, and other house wife duties reading that whole thread. His tank is beyond amazing, but I also love his humorous and humble personality. He sounds like a really interesting guy. I am in awe of the hands on experience and knowledge he's gained!

I would love to go spend a day just watching the fish in his tanks, and watching the schools of cichlids dashing around beside the monsters. Makes my 95L a veritable goldfish bowl. Very very cool, thanks for directing us to that site!

  • Author
do they measure in UK gallon or US gallon. just want to find out in Litres :D thanks

I converted using US gallons (3.79) Mined you this guy lives in Canada so it maybe UK gallons (4.54)

At the end of day which ever conversion you use its MEGA litres

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.