ReefCentral Tank of the month-August

reef

If you count all your tank equip seperately of course the Hot water cylinder and dryer will top the consumption list Chimera, add all your lights, your pumps, your heaters, your skimmers, and reactors togethers and count it as the "Fish tank" - it will be the No.1 user of power (some of us anyway - the 400watt club:roll:)

If you count all your tank equip seperately of course the Hot water cylinder and dryer will top the consumption list Chimera, add all your lights, your pumps, your heaters, your skimmers, and reactors togethers and count it as the "Fish tank" - it will be the No.1 user of power (some of us anyway - the 400watt club:roll:)

Not sure I agree, even adding up all my lights pumps etc I don't get close to 2kw, my jug uses the same, and most heaters are atleast that much, HW I tested a while ago and I seem to remember it was 1.5kw but could be wrong. Of course the tank is drawing power for a long period during the day, but how many people are there that have 1 or 2 heaters going all evening.

sounds like you're getting charged too much for power puttputt, i have same lighting and a heap more devices that suck power than your tank (from what i can see) and mine works out about $100 - $130 a month, of that the lights use about $60 a month. so out of a $480 power bill, thats 1/4 of my usage approx. hot water is the biggest killer in our house. get a centameter - worth their weight in gold

i work out my tank uses about $150-180 per month.

Same. Mine is ~$175 per month. :cry: The rates are going up next month as well. :evil:

From what I hear, we're still not as bad as some parts of Southern California where posts on RC claim it to be upwards of $0.35/KW. :o

I'm doing everything I can to make the new tank as efficient as possible.

sounds like you're getting charged too much for power puttputt, i have same lighting and a heap more devices that suck power than your tank (from what i can see)

??? such as what Chimera. I'll list mine..

3 x 400w MH (same as you)

4 32w T8s

2 x 6100 streams on new controller

1 uncontrolled 6000 stream

2 x sieos

2 x power heads

500w + 300w heaters on controller

pumps for ref (flow), top up, mixing kalk in top up water.

dosing pump for timed top up

calcium reactor - large aqua medic

Laguna 7 pump for return

laguna 6 running 902

the 902 itself

and the airconditioner in the room

another heater and pump mixing water as well

List yours.

From what I hear, we're still not as bad as some parts of Southern California where posts on RC claim it to be upwards of $0.35/KW. :o

Industrial users can pay prices like that (or higher) on the spot market.

The electricity industry is another thing which is seriously broken in NZ.