Jaguar Cichlid

PETEYPLECO

when i first got mine it was tinny about 1-2inches. i thought that he would be ok in my community tank for a few weeks becuase he was tiny and couldnt possible eat anything.....

well let me tell you. in 5 days he ate 7 neons :o he was only just bigger than a neon in the tank :o

then i put him in my community cichild tank containing oscars that were the same size and he just kept on picking on everyone!, so now hes in his own tank.

cool fish tho!

Are they quite aggressive

they are VERY aggressive to a point sometimes u need to separate a breeding pair which should be in a 5 foot tank.

and do they really eat smaller fish?

no just smaller fish they will eat all fish or harass them to death if they don't fit in their mouth :D

they are very nice fish (which i hope to one day own) but i could list a whole page of disaster stories with very few happy endings, if any :-? they are very very aggressive fish, they will often take over the whole room they are in and will try and attack the person near the tank thru the glass :o a male can get up to 50cm or so, so they are large fish, its like all the muscle in their bodies go to their jaws. smcoleman is a very lucky man indeed, many breeders will seperate their pairs thru dividers to spawn as males often kill the females afterwards or if they dont want to spawn.

wok- i would move yours out man, they can snap like nothing, if you dont value your other fish then they would probably be ok if your tanks 60cm wide or so (cause of the size they grow to).

jags are some of my favourite fish and i have a spare 460L for a lone male but im too lazy to set it up :lol:

i hope you havent got any males because theyll grow wider than the tank :o

at 15cm they are still very young, the will hit maturity in a little while and i dont hold much hope for any of the other fish then :( you would need at least 1000L to try and house four jags in the same tank and thats just space wise, i think it would be near impossible if you had multiple males.

heres a good example (its one i always remember because we had told him countless times to move that jag out)- http://www.theoscarspot.com/smf/index.p ... 267.0.html

my pair has just spawned and their very small the males is only about 5 cm and female is about 4 cm and there in a 2 foot tank which may sound a bit sad but will be upgrading to a 3 foot or something like that soon. they are very aggressive fish:-}

I think they are great fish. We were lucky enough to have a pair that got along very well & bred like convicts.

Be aware, my mates Jaguar 12cm , swallowed a 7cm female convict{well her tail was still showing} she was defending her fry, the jag wanted to get at the fry. :lol: The convicts were the boss up to then, all the fish had been together for a while too.

Frenchy :D

congrats cameron! i would get a 4x2x2 if possible. it is a tall tank though, you could probably go shorter but they would look great in a display tank spawning and the extra room is always appreciated by these beasts, especially if the male roughs the female up a bit. can you put your hand in their tank while theyre breeding when the male is around 40cm please to let me know if it hurts? :lol: just joking bud :wink:

Jags actually get to 70cm in tanks

They are an amazing cichlid and one i hope to own personally oneday

I have had them for sale in the shop and i had around 20 of them at 10cm in with some slightly larger silver sharks

Well second day i came in to see 3 Jags all with the tails of silver sharks coming out

The silver sharks were at least 10cm and some bigger

It did take them 3 days before they finally finished their meal but the sharks were out of there quick smart

Brad

i think the biggest male ive seen was 56cm not including tail... do you have any links to pics of ones that big? i have always read from big cichlid guys on the net that they average 50cm for males in tanks, how big are the wild caught ones generally?

it was a monster alright, really makes you have respect for a fish when you see this big jag lurking in the back watching 'his domain'. i think he was alone in a 300gal (1200L approx) so he had more than enough room, i wish i lived in america so i could steal him :lol: