Internal v's Canister

Krissie

I need a new filter on my 127ltr tank.

will be mostly a community tank i think... never seems to end up that way though, i like my grumpy fish too much lol

What do people have to say in regards to Internal filters versus Canister filters?

Am running a Canister filter on my other tank and love it, but as this tank is smaller, do i really need one. ( 2 footer )

Cheers

Hi There,

We run cannister filters on practically all our tanks, love, easy to clean, keeps the water crystal clear and less hardware to be seen in the tank.

And people are always saying better to over filter than under filter ( or was that just ira :lol: )

I have previously run a Jebo 815 ( 800litres an hour if I remember correctly ) on a 180litre tank, and it kept the water crystal clear.

B

Good thing about canister filters is that you don't have to clean them very often

An alternative to a canister filter could be to use a HOB (Hang on Back Filter) I am running these on all my tanks that are under 2ft and they run very well with little maintenance.

I have found that they are reasonable quiet when you have the water level quite high (close to the outflow) otherwise they can be a bit noisey, but not unbearable.

Then again i only have my 2ft tanks in the garage so don't really notice it.

But at nights when I do venture into the garage it is not overly noisey.

Hope this helps.

Definitely less noisey than UGF's

Cannister filters are deffinately better than internal and would be fine on a tank that size. You would be less likely to have problems and be able to run a higher bioload. But it just depends if you want to spend the extra money, the tank would be okay with an internal, personally I would go with the cannister.

The other upside to having a cannister filter is the fact that if/when you decide to upgrade tank size you will have a filter already that will more than likely be fine for a larger tank. Saves a little on the expense of upgrading your hardware to suit the new tank size.

B

I'm with the rest, an external is easier to look after and doesn't take up room in the tank so aesthetically pleasing as well. I have a HOB running in the lounge. The water level is up to the lip of the overflow so I can't hear the water running through it at all so no frequent loo trips required :wink:

The one thing wrong with HOBs though is the gap you need to leave in the lid. Kamikazi fish will spot the smallest of gaps to leap through.