I have baby albino guppies!!!!!!!!!

Keri Anne

Well "Mummy" albino guppy didn't handle childbirth very well. She's been looking sluggish for days - I actually switched to feeding her microworm as she was sitting on the bottom of the tank and not coming up for food. And before anybody says "Q-tank" she was the only fish in her half of the devided tank {Glass devider, no water transfer from 1 side to the other} as I was worried the male could be harrassing her and moved him. I say "was" as she died somtime last night. :(

At least she gave me babies first.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i seem to be having them same problem with my blonde girls. the boys are fine but after my girl had her first lot of fry, she wasn't looking too good.

after a couple of weeks i noticed the she was always at the top, had trouble going down, and another young female kept attacking her on the side.

i quickly removed the younger girl, but lost the adult a few days later.

Maybe I'll avoid albinos after all....

I hope you don’t. They may be a lot more challenging than normal guppies, however, that challenge is what makes the rewards all the more rewarding.

There only seems to be one source commercially breeding albino guppies in NZ and, no matter how devoted this/these people are, being the only source has to contribute to a degree of genetic weakness. That, and the lack of albino guppy variants, are a large part of my drive to get some good albino lines going.

Personally I’m really enjoying learning to line breed – I’ve jumped in the deep end with the albinos. It gets frustrating loosing females but I know that in the end I will have some good quality strong fish. [Just may take me a year or 2 of out crossing and incrossing.]

• 2 weeks later...

Not a stupid question at all. Albinism is only partial in guppies as the albino gene that has developed in them only blocks the production of melanin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin) which is only responsible for black and brown colourations.

The parents are sold as “Albino snow†[do a google image search on"Albino Snow Guppy" and you will see exactly what they look like] and depending in the light can show a very pale blue/green colour, yellow and sometimes even pink.

I did an out-cross a few months back when I only had females and it showed that this line carries an X-dominant ½-black gene of about medium darkness. Some of the females from my out-cross have blue and white in the tail and some have green and white. No sign of pink or yellow in the out cross so they may have just been light refraction on a combination of the blonde skin and the water or those colours may be recessive to something that the non-albino male carried.

The non-albino male they were out-crossed with was a blonde with only orange on him (a first step towards brightly coloured albinos, which is one of my major goals). All the fish came out grey not blonde which means that the albinos carry the grey gene but the albino gene blocks it.

I planned to cross back to the father but unfortunately lost him so am crossing brother to sister with this out-cross to see what I get. No fry yet but fingers crossed. Paws has 2 males and 2 females from this out-cross so it will be interesting to see if we both get fry at the same time or not.

:bounce: :bounce: Did that all make sense?? If I lost you ask questions :wink: :bounce: :bounce:

According to what I've read about albinoism in guppies I will lose most of that 25% albino before the're even born.

According to Guppies Keeping and Breeding them in Captivity by Homer Mozart (pg 52)

While the 3:1 ratio is typical of such a mating when breeding two heterozygotes, this assumes that there are no secondary problems that affect the expectations. In the albino guppy there are such complications. The actual results are more likely to be on the order of 53:1 wild to albino. This is because the albino gene in these fish is linked to an inherent weakness, or lethal recessive gene, that results in a very high death rate of albino fry before they are born.

heterozygotes: Na x Na

All the fish came out grey not blonde which means that the albinos carry the grey gene but the albino gene blocks it.

Bit confused by that, if they all came out grey, doesn't that mean the grey blocked the albino gene? By grey do you mean non-albino?

Cheers

Baby fish came out as gray skin colour, father's skin colour was blonde, mother, being an albino apeared to have the blonde skin colour. Therefore the albino gene blocked the skin colour gene in the mother. I was using the outcross to get more genetic info about the albinos as having 2 albino genes maskes a lot of traits but you need to know what is being masked if you want to play with the strain.

Okay, after many attempts at counting I think it's safe to say between 15 - 20 babies...

Well I moved the ones that were growing faster so that the smaller ones have a better chance at the food and in doing so I was actually able to get a decent count. 20 babies!!! (10 on each side of the devided tank. :wink: )

Split for albino? Be careful there.. ask a LOT of questions about them.. be sure that either the MOTHER was albino or the Father was albino and the mother was a VIRGIN that they had breed themselves. Ask a lot of questions about the non-albino parent too: Strain or non-strain, fin/tail shapes etc. Good luck.

Okay, found the auction.. I've asked a few questions (the ones I would have asked if I was after them) will be interesting to see what responce I get.

I'm not totally convinced on this one but will let you know what I think of the answers I get. Good luck!!!!!! :bounce: