Kalkawasser and vinegar

wasp

Sorry I misread, thought you said amino acids, not acetic acid, doh....

But does raise a good point, could I mix amino acids in with my kalk and dose that way?? Would save a ton of stuffing round.

Also I did the calculation on that site for how much vinagar to add and it worked out at about 1.5liters a week for my topup! Wasn't that keen on dump that much vinagar in my tank each week.

Interesting question. At first glance I would have thought it would be fine. While in the kalk solution, the acid would shift from a zwitterion (simultaneously positive and negative) to a fully negative ion. But then that equilibrium would return to "normal" once introduced to the tank and pH stabilises to tank levels.

There is no irreversible reaction I can think of between calcium hydroxide and amino acids in general (which would not otherwise happen when added to the tank).

try again it was haveing some problems

Upcomming site outage

Throughout the night, the Talkingreef site is going to go though periods of maintenance as i upgrade the website code. this is going to introduce many new features, and maybe some bugs, so bear with me

This outage will not affect access to podcast episodes, and will only affect this website

Looks to be going again?