Hello to all.

MGilchrist

Hello

As a brand new user I thought an introduction might be an idea. My name is Mark, I live in Port Chalmers Dunedin and work as an Electrician for a Company called Alstom.

I am married with a wife who tolerates my fish and a 4 month old baby boy who amazes and delights me.

As for fish, I currently have a four foot tank that after selling my old fish, I am starting to convert to discus (need many more plants etc), also have cut glass for 2 more that are higher and wider, but as always waiting on time and resources

Welcome to the fishroom Mark. Did you know there is a fish club in Dunedin? Some of our Marlborough members are heading there this weekend for their tank and pond crawl. Always good fun and a great way to see new fish and get landscaping ideas (not to mention a few fish and plants he he). I believe some Christchurch and Timaru members will also be visiting.

If you (and the family) want to join in you would be most welcome. Give the Pet Warehouse a ring as I am sure one of the staff there can give you details as owner Denise is current club president and their meetings are held there. At the moment I believe the plan is to start on Saturday, 9am at 4 Nairn St. Mosgiel but that may have changed.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum... lots of Discus lovers here so you should get a few tips and ideas.

Good to get the family started young.

My three year old grandson can just about name all my fish..... in Latin :)

Now about these tanks you have glass for.

We need ALL the details, and a few pics once you get them set up he he.

Thank you for the welcomes

Caryl - good information about the local fish club, I had been wondering if there was one. Still life is full enough at the moment, between new fish, newish baby, six month old puppy, and one night a week at the local polytech for woodworking. Perhaps once I get some of the overdue jobs out of the way

Pegasus - nice to hear from you, as a matter of interest it was through your website that I found this fishroom. I will try to give updates on the tanks as I go but will take some time, the stands are first and they are currently some large pieces of Rimu that are full of nails (ex roof joists)

Mark

I am a little late ............. however welcome to Fishroom :)

The Dunedin tank parade is well worth the effort and I can still see Len's discus tank in my mind Absolutely wonderful. Other members also had beautiful fish and set ups. Again WELCOME

Hey Mark... Love the avatar... cute little guy :)

Thanks for the visit to my site, and hopefully you found some interest.

Sounds like you're gonna be busy for a while.

One step at a time... and just think, one day you will be able to sit back and enjoy all the efforts.

(the tanks usually breed faster than the babies he he )

Hello Goldie

Thank you for the welcome, it amazes me how much of a community this is. When I signed up I certainly did not realise how much people are getting around, meeting other fishy people and looking at their setups. It is all very impressive and I do hope to get more involved later.

Pegasus

One step at a time is certainly the way of it, currently am making a small trolley with wooden blocks for the wee man (he can only roll over one way so far but planning ahead I am sure he will enjoy it one day) Next project is the stands. Fish tanks certainly do multiply, recently had four with Angel fish, Rams, Platies, Pleco, Neon Tetras and some other Tetras. But all bar one have been sold as I started this project, No doubt the numbers will slowly creep up again.

Mark

I have discus too. I have had her for four years now. :D . Just recently lost her companion :(

Since I am on holiday this week I may travel to Christchurch and see if they have a couple of nice ones which I can add. I so dislike seeing just the one discus. They are much better in schools.

Hi Goldie

They are good to watch swimming around together aren't they. The one you have left must be lonely, I hope you can find some nice companions.

If you do, can you let me know where as I might be making a trip up that way in a week or so and it would be good to have some inside knowledge on the good places to go.

• 2 weeks later...