Most intersting fish you have bred.

Billaney

Hi Everyone, I get a real buzz from breeding fish , all kinds for all differant reasons, whats the most interesting fish you have bred and why ?

I think mine was GBA's , because it was very uncommon down in Wellington to breed them and it was one of the first fish i bred that i set up a tank all there own with breeding in mind. BTW there still breeding stongly with a new batch hatching this week :):)

Is this bred as in succesfully bred (having Bubbas growing and surviving etc?) or do you mean Spawn and Bubbas but not necessarily raised Bubbas?

Can be either Mystic , :) but i'd have thought you would get more from it if they lived :roll:

well the only thing ive bred purposely was fighters and that was cool to watch, the kribs bred by themselves in my community tank and i didnt even know they were there till i had to empty the tank and even then i didnt know wat they were till they gott bigger!

will I love watching my baby bristles - can stare for hours at them - have just had a third batch about two weeks ago - and have just rebred my dwarf gouramis - fry free swimming 6 days ago. lets hope I can keep them alive beyond 6 weeks this time - I have my fingers crossed that all the reading I have done will help them this time :bounce:

The Bitterling will surely be the most fascinating fish I have ever bred, and I've done two or three.

To watch the male hover over and tease the mussel for days until it(mussel) got use to it, then him coaxing the female over and her trusting the work that he had done, deposit her ovaridepositor(spp) into the mussel to lay her eggs.

My happiest time; to be able to take ten plus babies through to be able to claim the breeding point.

This fish, although an illegal import, went through all the correct channels of quarantine, three checks by MAF, public advertising and me able to obtain them legally, before MAF realized someone had made a boo boo.

This experience I don't think will ever be able to be done again in NZ, so I feel that I was very priviledged to have been able to partake in a unique breeding.

Veva la bitterling.

Alan 104

Hi-finned Platties was a real bonus for me... I got this really pretty hi-finned male -a lemony Yellow colour with an orangish/pinkish dorsal and matching dots just below it.

He lived in the comunity tank for a while then I decided to add him to the breeding tank and see what happened. 4 months and nothing... one day I found him dead and I was so sad as he was such a pretty boy. Never seen one like him before or since.

About 2 months later I noticed one of my young blues had an "odd" fin. Not quite Hi-fin but not normal... a little searching and I discovered a few more blues like her. A week later I noticed it in a red wagtail.

Given time, enough tanks, some clever selective breeding and a bit of luck I might be able to create something like him again. He is gone but he has left me a wonderful gift.

I know that many may think "Oh, it's just a platty." But he wasn't to me, he was special. And in these other fish I have a part of him still. So - to those of you who think "Oh, I'm only breeding easy fish" just remember this: Breeding any fish is an incredible thing. Some may be harder than others but all are able to bring the same joy.

You're dead right Keri Anne, even raising one fish, whatever it is is an accomplishment. Breeding is another whole side to fish keeping that always keeps me interested in it. Refining methods, getting more fry to adulthood, breeding different fish that have different levels of difficulty.

Although I breed discus the biggest novelty for me is breeding rummy-nosed tetras. I got 15 to teenagehood. Breeding neons and killifish is exciting too. Still working on the cardinals.

Oh I think you meant ovipositor Alan, and privileged. :)

For me the White A.calvus. Have to grow the now parents up for 2 years before they are mature enough.

Was lucky that out of the original 6 I bought, 1m 2f remain & have turned out to be a good breeding trio.

These fry are proving a real challenge to raise too. Taken a few trial & errors & losing a few batches. Touch wood seem to be getting there. The bizarre part is I have bred other Alto's before-common Balck Calvus & A.compressiceps with no dramas.

This has been a challenge & worth it, not many in these parts have breed these yet. It will take 6 months to grow fry to 3cm, the pic shows some at 1cm about 2 months old.

DSCF2059A.jpg

This wide shot pic gives you a better example of the size of fry.{Same shot, not cropped}

DSCF2059.jpg

Frenchy :D