Puttputts lighting upgrade.

puttputt

As you probably saw, have sold my Arcadia unit to skippy and am upgrading to 3 X 400w units using the new Lumenarc type reflectors.

The Arcadia unit is a cracker, but as I really like sps (I know Reef, so last year :lol: ) and hope to get better penetration down to the bottom of the tank to allow sps to grow and colour up at increased depth, and also get better throw of the light with the reflectors.

I've picked up the lights, reflectors and ballasts today, and organised some heavy duty timers and the sparkie at work is setting up a board with 3 outlets. I've made a tube frame to be suspended over the tank, which the reflectors will attach to and the ballasts etc sit on top of.

Should have all the bits tomorrow so will post picks of it in bits, and then assembled and over the tank. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve's right. they will come down,(note the extra chain Chim) but there is a seriously high amount of light, and even at that height, it is shocking the leather at the moment.

Chim, thanks for the PM, I'll be responding soon :D . The tank looks great and the colours even better - very, very pleased so far.

Thanks all. Duke, I was back as far as I can get in my little room :D .

I am stunned at the way these bulbs have brought the colours out in my corals. The blues and greens are glowing, the purples much more pronouced, its great. :bounce:

Hope to take some pic's when i borrow the camera from work, mines just a little fine pix rubbish thing. Need a better one.

You should get a big spread of light with the big reflectors.

Corals to tend to look better with a bit of blue, however whilst the arcadia bulbs are more white you do tend to get better growth but the corals look more washed out,

The narva 14k bulbs are really weak so you dont get great growth, they tend to have a low par rating. so there is always a trade off between looks and growth.

Found 400w bulbs are not that bright as i still have to run 8 x t5s. might try the iwasaki 6500k, but that would mean changing to mercury vapor ballast.

i still think 250w De bulbs are almost as bright as a SE 400w.

Are you running any glass covers?? pretty risky without them.

Just have to see how the growth goes with these bulbs.

Don't have covers but do I need them, I thought only DE needed glass for UV protection.

These lights are considerably brighter, visually anyway, than the arcadias were even when they were new, and this is with them being so high at the moment.