Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Guppies!

Featured Replies

Just wondering who out there has got into the breeding of guppies? I'm wanting to try my hand at it, but I'm not sure how much equipment I'm going to need... I'm only going to go for one strain to start with, just to wet my fingers (as it were :lol:) and see how rewarding it is :)

If you pay a visit to a library I am sure you will find a book with the history of breeding guppies. I did have one and lent it out. Absolutely fascinating from setting up to breed, to the genetic coding and predicting the results of a cross mating.

It would be faster to ask who hasn't got into breeding guppies at some point! :lol:

A couple of members here were talking about setting up a guppy club but I am not too sure whether they have done anything about it yet. There are a few interested in line breeding.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Is there anyone out there that knows if I could keep guppies in a tank without a heater? 'cause if I can keep them in an unheated tank, then I might just go get some! :lol:

Aqua said...

> Just wondering who out there has got into the breeding of guppies?

Our own beloved Cees is quite into his guppies, as is Peter Mcleod

and various others.

There are *many* websites out there.

If you want to try a cold water, guppy-like fish, you might

consider the leopard fish (Phalloceros caudimaculatus) which

are sometimes available.

Andrew.

  • Author

perfect :)

'Cause at the Jansens Glenfield, there's some small tanks that I could get set up with a minimum of hassle, just a bit of driftwood & some of the Java Fern from my monster tank, add a few guppies, and I'd be away laughing :lol:

Chris said...

> If you go into Jansens Mt Eden, they have a tank with Coldwater

> guppies in it

Just make sure they're *not* Gambusia. This is one fish that has,

as far as I can tell, *no* redeeming features...

Expect guppies that have become acclimatised to cooler water to

be less colourful, to eat less, to be less active and to breed less

often than their warm water cousins. They'll live longer though

and generally be hardier. As with most things, there are pluses

and minuses...

Andrew.

hi yep u can keep them i cold water tank as i got 15 3 males and 12 females in one and breeding nicely in there but i keep them in a warm room like my livingroom as the frie go 24-7 in there in the winterand the tank stays about 10-13c so far i got king cobras out of them and some red delta and multi delta i all so got hot water guppys that im working on now to .

hope this helps u

cheers bikiegirl

If you can keep the tanks inside and the water does not go below 18 degrees you may have some luck.Below this temperature you may have trouble with your females not dropping fry.Try some swords if you can find some, I think they would be better suited to colder water than some of the Delta shapes (larger tailed).I can save you a few virgin females to start you off.I have been working on a few different types of Deltas if you want to start with a heated tank.

Andrew is right about the mosquito fish.I used to keep a few for feeding their fry to my fighters to help get them into breeding condition, but was worried they may get into one of my Guppy strains and cross.Don't know if they would cross and don't want to find out.They will handle much lower temperatures than the guppies, even as low as 5 degrees for periods of time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.