What is he?

Krissie

Hi guys.

Was just wondering if anyone knew what this wee guy is/ was.

We had him last year, but a bout of nasty 'white spot' took him from us.

He was not very big, about 2.5 inches, but i have never ever seen anymore in any LFS. When we got the guy at the LFS was a friend, and he didn't know what he was either.

I did some research online at the time we got him, and thought he might have been a 'Butterfly' plec?

Any ideas, and anyone know where i might find another?

He was so brightly coloured, and just stunning in our tank!

(going to try to put in a pic for the first time ever... hope it works)

i21CCC34A-D7AD-4652-BEF7-39156CD3800C.jpg

Cheers

L52 but almost could be l168 but doubt it most of nz butterflys are l52

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=706

or

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=983

I know u will say he looks more like L168 but your lines arnt nearly defined as much and plus i have bred these guys a few time the young are way more colourful than abults.But alsom remember these guys are called butterfly plrcs because they change colour against gracel and mood.

cheers kyle

Cheers 'KribKrazy' for the re-post of the pic, not sure what i did wrong?

He was really cool, and was sad to loose him.

He did change in colour a little when he went to different areas in the tank, but mainly just got 'motley' looking, kinda more brown than orange.

I really would love another so if anyone knows where i might find one please let me know.

He was my pride and joy, and a real character too!

Cheers

I know u will say he looks more like L168 but your lines arnt nearly defined as much and plus i have bred these guys a few time the young are way more colourful than abults.But alsom remember these guys are called butterfly plrcs because they change colour against gracel and mood.

kyle

I got him of a friend who had no idea what he was either. I gave him $80 for him which i know now, was no where near enough! I got a great deal.

I agree that he looks more like the L168, and i think his lines are fine. BUT given that they are never (or at least, very rarely) seen in NZ, then i guess he was a L52.

Although, in saying that, i have never seen another one since, nor anything even close, so hey, who knows.

I'm not sure how 'young' and 'old are defined when it come to plecs and such, but he was about 2.5 Inches (maybe more, me being a girl and all, lol ) when we got him, and we had for about a year, in which time he didn't grow stuff all, so he wasn't real young by my standards, maybe 2 - 3 yrs old.

Cheers

ok I admit I don't know much about cat fish, especaily Pelcos but looking at the "face" of your fish and the faces of the other 2 "possibles" I'd say there is to much black on the face of the L52. But that's just my oppinion.

Hey guys IMO thats a L168

we have only just been allowed to legally import them here which made hte price plummet

here we are looking at $65 to $80 for a 9cm fish

The L052 and L168 are very very similiar and alot of people believe its the same fish just with different marking from a location variant

Either way very similiar but I think you have L168

Brad

L52.Marking are only a giudeline.Young L52 like your ones have much better stripes.I have seen the L168 in aus and they are different to L52 adults.These guys for 8cm in nz at the moment will cost you $192 :o .I got mine when they were cheaper and got a pair.And please as i have said it is not L168

kyle

i agree with kyle as mine look exactly the same and they are L52. I paid 70 from a local down here getting rid of their one the in the same weekend wetpets had it miss labelled so I got another for 120 (supposed to be 190). Very cool fish. I call mine zebras as it is the closest i will get :D

As I said I don't know nothin about identifying catfish. I do know, however, what I like and that fish I like. I must remember to ask my LFS if they have any on the list and if they might get one and how much.

Do they go well in cichlid tanks?