Black Hair Algae

Aqua

Sorry I know this is late but heres my two cents.

The Krib has an article on using hydrogen peroxide H2O2 as a topical treatment for black hair algae, when I had this algae I was never game to use it in the tank, but did use it to great effect in a bucket for cleaning up the filters and driftwood.

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/bleach.html

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/hyd ... oxide.html

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry should have said also

If you are thinking of using H2O2 in an occupied tank read everything the krib says and use extreme care, this has the potential to kill everything in your tank.

As I said above I have used it in a limited manner but always out of the tank with equipment that was well rinsed a couple of times before using it again.

I have used it in an occupied tank for Blue-Green Algae with no ill effects on the fish or plants. The "extreme care" is in using small localised doses and not just tipping it in like other algae killers. Use a syringe (without the needle) or pipette to place the H202 on the algae itself. It breaks down fairly fast with a rush of bubbles lasting about 30sec. Once the bubbles stop being produced there is no more H202 left and its done its job.

So far I haven't gotten any alge in my tanks. Hope I never have to fight it...

I also am glad you posted the URL on SAE. I thought I had one but mine seems to look alot more like the Garra Taeniata. But mine has 2 barbles on the mouth whitch the SAE does. & the one I think it is doesn't.?.?.? It doesn't make sence to me But it is a nice fish. I haven't seen it being aggressive. Then again most all of my fish are bigger also. I will have to look closer when I get home.

in a couple of words...:

ç'est fantastique!!!

It's completely gone! I believe it was the combination of the Flourish Excel & the SAE.

I've almost finished the bottle actually... :P I was putting in 12 pipettes worth per day for the first week, now it's a capful per day, cause I dropped the pipette in the bottle :lol: