Tank Back Grounds

Jacko

Hi I was wondering what the forum consensus is on backings for tanks. Do many of you experts go for those commercially available products? Or do you create your own. I have done a search on this site and read the article by Rob Torrens. His advice around painting a sheet of polystyrene and taping to the back of the tank seems logical and to me. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Regards

Paul

There's lots of ways to do it besides buying commercial backing.

1. coloured sellophane wrap looks good

2. paint the outside of the glass itself

3. laminated card

4. shape polystyrene with hot wire and silicone gravel to it to look like cliff

What you do is cut the poly to the shape you like, then use hobby cement + dyes to get a nice hard and coloured texture on top. The poly likes to float so it needs to be secured down, how you do that is up to you, but personally I'd go with silicone myself :) You can also use the silicone to attach more bits, to make cliffs etc, could hang some Java moss off it, that'd look pretty sweet.

And yeah it goes in side the tank. Want to let it sit for a bit before putting fish in, as the cement needs time to fully cure and while curing it pollutes the water a bit.

Everyone has extra ideas, or favoured ways of doing it, but the above is the 'common' way that I've read about the most :) One idea is to use fibreglass instead of hobby cement, then using acetone to remove the poly, I doubt I'd have the patience for that tho :lol:

You can also make little cavities in the back for housing things like filter inlets etc discretely, and caves, and anything that takes your fancy really.

Links:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_background.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_aquarium_background.php

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/content/?page_id=86

http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm (using rocks)

http://www.max-discus-dream.de/mddnew/3D-back.htm (using resin)

Also lots of discussion in the past on this forum too :)

I've used shiny wrapping paper - first I crunch it up so its all creased and then tape it to the back. If I want it to last I cover it with clear duraseal first.

I've also used coloured duraseal. I don't take the backing off, just slip it behind the tank with the coloured side facing the tank.

I've also used a piece of the blue camping mats you can buy cheaply at the warehouse - cut a piece to size and tape it on. The colour is really nice and it probably provides a bit of insulation as well

Cheers

Jude

Yes I meant the poly goes inside but I also know some people keep it outside as well.

Some people paint their own backing (if they are artistic) then laminate it.

You can alo make a diorama I think they call it. A sheet of card bent to a slight curve behind the tank with articles (rocks, pot plants etc) arranged artistically in it for a 3D effect. Of course you have to have the space behind the tank to do that.

I've had a background photo sheet on my tank for years, but since my large Oscar died and I went into smaller fishies I thought I'd try something different. I have had the wall my fish tank, is infront of, mirrored to about 120cm high, and bought artificial plant stems from $2 Shop and glued them to back of tank. It looks neat, cause I have pot plants around it. It is probably very expensive, (I have a friend in the glass trade), but you never have to paint or wallpaper there again, and is a real feature. If I knew how to post photos over here, I'd send one to show you what I mean.

I have a tank in a cabinet and the back and ends are covered with mirrored glass. It is mainly for growing plant and is a great success. Lost light is reflected back into the tank and the plant looks like a forest that goes on forever. Most fish dont worry about it but the odd one decides to introduce itself to itself.

Well everyone, we went to Organisms today and bought ourselves a 60L Aqua World tank, along with filter, substrate, some plants and a small piece of driftwood. My daughter is now a fully fledged Organism Club member and we also eyeballed a few other species which should be suitable residents when we get the tank established. We have also bought some MDF to place under the tank, hopefully to distribute its weight. I know MDF is not ideal with water around, but I have given it a few coats of paint. If it doesn't work I will try some of that melamine shelving you can buy at Placemakers. We have washed the substrate and a few rocks we intend in placing into the aquarium all ready to setup over the next few days. For the backing we went to the Stationary Warehouse and found some of that corrugated plastic sheeting (sort of like corrugated cardboard) We are not too sure if it can be painted, but we will try using acrylic, if not, the blue colour is probably OK anyway….The rot sets in. :D